Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer starts then immediately shuts down!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Inovermyhead

Inovermyhead

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:51 PM

Hi. I updated Spybot and then when I started to run Spybot my Toshiba laptop immediately shut down. I started it again and the same thing happened. I tried using safe mode but it shut down again. Can I use the recovery console and if so, how? I just spent days doing my taxes and will kill myself if I can't get into this computer again. Please give me any ideas. ANYTHING to fix this !!!Thanks so much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:52 PM

Can you get a stable safe mode with command prompt?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=943085

I would try system restore first
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Inovermyhead

Inovermyhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:43 PM

Hello Da Chew!! and thanks for the quick reply. I've been busy working on this. I tried what you suggested and it looked like it would work. I tried 3 different restore dates and each time the computer said it was finished when it had 5% left to restore. Then a nice windows screen came up and said it was shutting down, then it crashed with a whine. I started it normally, it let me sign in (which is more than I could do before) I got a message that the changes were not made and that I should do a system restore. I picked a different date, it restored to the same "almost" point again, it logged off and shut down. I restarted and a screen popped up saying it couldn't restore to that date due to a recent hardware or software change and that it had unexpectedly shut down to protect my files and folders. It suggested to pick "Last known Good Configuration" for start up. I did and it crashed again. Any other ideas???

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:56 PM

ANYTHING to fix this !!!

Running windows as a repair disk might get you a little further, however we are seeing a lot of infections that are basically incurable

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Finding a generic microsoft disk will be a problem
Chewy

#5 Inovermyhead

Inovermyhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:27 AM

Hi DaChew....I was able to start in safe mode, ran Malwarebytes (took 9 hours to complete). It found 2 Vundo viruses. So I ran it again it found them again. Delted, emptied trash, thought it was gone. Tried to start and it shut down immediately. Now I can only start in safe mode.

I read about downloading "autostreamer' and Window service pack 2 and saving it to the desktop but how can I do it if I can't operate in anything but safe mode? I have my Windows XP disc so that won't be a problem. How should I proceed? I'm not ready to give up..or can I copy all my programs to an external hard drive and they will work if I dump my computer and start over. Oh, and how do you wipe clean a computer? I've heard the software to do it is illegal and not available anymore anyway. What should I do? and thanks for getting me this far!!

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:33 AM

Is your windows disk a generic one(from Microsoft not dell etc)?

Xp sp1 right?
Chewy

#7 Inovermyhead

Inovermyhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:14 PM

YES...will that help?

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:45 PM

Do you know someone with a clean computer that could take your disk and make a new one with sp3 in it?

A semigeek would be best
Chewy

#9 Inovermyhead

Inovermyhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:44 PM

Yes, my daughters has a clean PC and my other daughter has a clean laptop. After that, you lost me. Can you explain (in detail, please) how I could use the disc to make another one with sp3 on it? I'm not sure what a semigeek is. Sorry for not understanding...that's why I'm "in over my head". I have a program to burn dvd's on my infected computer..DVD Cloner V...but that's the most I know about making a duplicate and I'm not sure how to add the sp3. BYW, What is a semigeek?

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:56 PM

Semi geek is somewhere between geek and beginner.

We have a guide coming but it will be a while, basically what needs to be done is you take your old cd and download the administrative install for sp3. Nlite takes the old cab files and copies them to your hard drive, it then slipstreams the new ones from sp3 into the old set, you then end up with a burnable bootable new windows cd that's almost fully updated.

You then take that disk and run windows as a repair disk.

If that doesn't work you still have the new disk for other fixes or a clean install

http://www.nliteos.com/

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
Chewy

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:58 PM

A further note, this feature was implemented by microsoft with windows 2K when computers that had sp4 would not boot after running an earlier windows disk as a repair
Chewy

#12 Inovermyhead

Inovermyhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:21 PM

I'm not a beginner and can't be a geek because I don't know what a cab file is. So maybe I'm a semigeek or just someone who can follow step by step instructions.
I read the Michael Stevens instructions and have a few questions. Do I download sp2 or sp3? Which nlite should I use? Or should I do it with nero with his instructions? Can I ask you questions along the way? Is there a chance this will work? Dang Spybot!!!! When I downloaded the update, I saw files in red...just for a second..and then my dog walked on my laptop and the updates installed without giving me the chance to stop it. It didn't occur to me that the update would have a lethal infection. Crap. This is the last thing I need right now. I'm moving from NYC to Kansas in 3 days and should be packing. It drives me nuts to be without my computer. OK. I'll start with the Michael Stevens now. sp3? Right?

#13 Inovermyhead

Inovermyhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:32 PM

Also, I just noticed my Windows disc is for XP Home and my computer has XP Pro. Is that a problem?

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:43 PM

You would need a pro disk that matched your computer, there are upgrade, oem and retail versions
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users