Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I do a complete, new install on my XP Pro, with the OEM disk?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 razzell2

razzell2

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:50 PM

Hello.
I have an older computer that runs Windows XP Professional.
I have the OEM disk. (I think that is what is called). The recovery disk, I guess it is.

I want to do a complete recovery, or re-install of the XP Pro Os, using my disk. I have the numbers, (dont know what those are called either), written on the Windows XP Professional Operating System disk.

I have never done this before. I dont know if I am supposed to put the disk in first, and start the computer, or start the computer and run the disk from the D: drive.

I only have a C: and a D: drive on my computer. The D: drive is my cd rom drive. Its not like my other XP Home that has a partitioned D: drive, that I think holds all of the original factory install stuff.

I have tried to run the disk, and the console that comes up has a few options, the top one being "install xp professional".
But when I run that, I reach a place where I am supposed to install xp pro, but it wants to install it AGAIN...meaning a second OS on the existing C drive.
Or, I reach a place that says I cannot continue as certain important files are needed to run the computer, so it wont delete them.
(I am most certainly paraphrasing these commands. I am at my vista computer, and cannot remember the exact wordings.)

I want a fresh start, with the ability to install my XP pro from scratch.

Like a complete recovery, I guess its called.
The kind that removes everything, and resets the computer back to the way it was when I bought it.

I dont know if this is naive, but I always thought that this OEM disk was for that purpose.

Am I supposed to delete everything on the C: drive first? As in, Format the D: drive and THEN try and install the OS with the disk?

If someone would please take the time to walk me thru this I would be mosts grateful.

Thanks guys and gals

Russell
California
"GAT DANG-ED (BLEEPING) COMPUTER. ARGHHHHHHHHH!!!"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:01 PM

What's the exact make and model of your system?
Where did you get the recovery disks from?
What do the recovery disks say on the label?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 razzell2

razzell2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:00 AM

Well, heres the deal with that.
The computer in question, I dont have any idea what it is. The monitor has the name Princeton on it, but I swear, there is no name on the tower, anywhere.

This is a computer that my wife was given from her work. The buisness is moving to a new location, remodeling and such, and this small computer was gonna get thrown out, so boss said to take it home and give it to one of our kids.

It was not used, or even networked to the rest of the buisness computers...it was more of a side computer, used for browsing the internet and such.

It only has about 30 gigs of hard drive space, and most of that is used up by the xp pro operating system.

The oem disk was given to her along with the computer so I assume it came with the computer or was ordered for the computer from the tech guys that service the workplace.

The recovery disk says WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL CORPORATE EDITION OPERATING SYSTEM.
Its got the microsoft log on one side, the Windows logo on the other, and the oem numbers on the case.

Oh, and it says SERVICE PACK 2 INCLUDED, on it also.

The computer has one operating drive..the C:drive. The D: drive is just the cd player, so there is no partition other than the free space seperate from the operating system files.
I was told to start the computer, put the disk in, and restart the computer and let it read the disk, and a new install would begin, but that did not happen.
It accepted the oem numbers of course, but it seemed to want to install the OS files from the disk, to the hard drive, but not after a format.
In other words, it wanted to write the OS files AGAIN, so that there would have been two seperate OS, xp pro, if there would have been enough hard drive space to carry it, but there wasnt anyway.

Most of the stuff that was on the computer had been removed from add/remove by the tech guys before they gave it to my wife.
The left some games, some personal pictures and picture files that my two of my daughters (who both worked there with my wife at one time or another) uploaded to the computer with their digi cams.

Ok, aside from all of that minor stuff, there is nothing on the hard drive that could not be re-installed with this OS disk, or from the internet..(like flash, or the adobe reader, or the java files or whatever else gets installed when you need to view something or do something,,,,etc.)

What would happen if I double clicked on MY COMPUTER, went to the C: drive, and clicked on FORMAT.
Would that format and erase everything on the hard drive?
And if so, would the cd drive work after that, to allow me to use the disk to re-install the operating system from the oem disk?

Maybe Im doing something wrong when im trying to follow the instructions on the disk, I dont know.
And, the computer is not connected to the internet while I am trying to do this. Does that matter?

Thanks for reading all of this and thanks to anyone who helps me.

Russell
"GAT DANG-ED (BLEEPING) COMPUTER. ARGHHHHHHHHH!!!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users