Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD 0x0000008E and 0x00000050

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:20 PM

Specs: Custom built, WinXP SP3, two 160gb SATA in mirror RAID, 2x1GB DDR 400 ram, Geforce 7600 video card with 256 mb.

My computer got a BSOD with a 0x0000008E code on it a few days ago. Looking up that error points mostly to hardware. I rebooted and thought nothing of it since then. Yesterday, I pulled one of my 1 gig dimms and gave it to someone to upgrade their memory, leaving myself with one 1 gb stick of memory. Since then, I have not been able to get into Windows in normal mode for more than a few seconds before the 0x0000008E BSOD shows up. I can boot into safe mode with no problems (in it now posting this message).

1. I used MSCONFIG and unchecked everything that starts up when Windows does. That didn't help at all.
2. I used System restore to restore the system back to a week ago. I thought that did it because I got into normal mode for about 2 minutes before a different BSOD showed up. This one was 0x00000050 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. I hopped back into safe mode and found that error message also points to hardware, but usually memory.
3. Booted up a Memtest86 CD and ran 6 passes on the memory. Test results showed pass 1 ok, pass 2 showed an error during test 7, pass 3 and 4 were ok, pass 5 showed a different error during test 7, and pass 6 was ok.

I ordered replacement memory from Newegg after giving half of mine away, but it was late Friday night, so I don't expect it to arrive until next Wednesday or Thursday at the earliest, and I have no other memory lying around to use to replace this memory to see if it is what is causing the BSOD.

So, my ultimate question would be this:
If my memory is bad, wouldn't it create a BSOD in safe mode as well? Why can I get around in safe mode with no hitches, but normal mode dies after a few seconds.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:42 PM

"If my memory is bad, wouldn't it create a BSOD in safe mode as well? Why can I get around in safe mode with no hitches, but normal mode dies after a few seconds. "

If you haven't ran any tests on the memory you are kind of guessing that the memory is the issue.

When you start in safe mode a bare minimum of drivers are loaded.
The computer is using skimpy generic drivers & just enough of Windows/programs to make the computer work.
That would mean that much less of the memory is being used .
There is the possibility that in safe mode there isn't enough running so what you're doing in safe mode never tries to access the faulty part of the memory.

If you want to know for sure if your memory is the issue download Memtest86,

http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.5.iso.zip

Unzip the iso file & use a burning program [like Nero] that has the "Burn image to disk" feature to make the disk.
Put the disk in the drive, start the computer & let it boot & run the test.
If any errors are found the memory is bad.
You have to exit the test or eject the disk & restart the computer to stop the test .
Memtest89 will keep running unless you stop it manually.

It is also available to make a floppy disk if you prefer that,

http://www.memtest86.com/memtest35.zip
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:14 PM

In general a hardware error will occur in both Safe and normal modes. This depends on the problem and how it interacts with the system.
Also in general, an error that surfaces in normal mode but does not surface in Safe Mode usually involves a driver that loads in normal mode, but not in Safe Mode.

To figure out which, you'll have to test your memory (as fairjoeblue mentions above), and then search out the information about the BSOD. Here's a link to start with: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:25 PM

If you haven't ran any tests on the memory you are kind of guessing that the memory is the issue.

Please try to read my original post. It says right in it:

3. Booted up a Memtest86 CD and ran 6 passes on the memory. Test results showed pass 1 ok, pass 2 showed an error during test 7, pass 3 and 4 were ok, pass 5 showed a different error during test 7, and pass 6 was ok.

I am not an expert on using memtest86 but if it shows an error at any point doesn't that mean there is at least some point on that ram that is bad? I've never seen memtest86 show errors on only 2 out of 6 passes though. If memory is bad, it usually shows up on more than half the passes doesn't it?

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:51 PM

Sorry about that !

You said you gave half of your memory away.
Have you tried moving the remaining stick to the empty slot ?
Often simply reseating the memory will fix a lot of problems.

As to memtest 86, I have never seen it fail to find errors if the memory is bad.
If I run memtest & get an error I put the stick in another slot & run memtest again.
If I still get an error I try the memory in a different unit [not an option for everybody] if I still get any errors I put the memory stick in the trash.

At this point wait until you get your new memory.
If the problem goes away then the old stick is faulty.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:38 PM

I apologize for not seeing the memtest results in your first post. In my defense, I am a bit visually handicapped and don't always see everything.

There are 2 viewpoints on errors in RAM. One is that any error is bad and indicates a problem with your RAM (my view). The other is that the built in error mechanisms can handle this error without any problems. IMO, since you're having problems and you have errors in your RAM - it's not unreasonable to associate the 2.

A STOP 0x8e error points to hardware IF you've recently installed new hardware or IF you've had a hardware failure (such as RAM), otherwise it points to a driver issue. More evidence to support the theory that your RAM is bad.

Another possibility is that the memory slot is bad. To test this, run the memory test on the stick you have in the other slot(s). If it passes without errors, then the stick is good but the slot is bad. If it gets errors then it's likely that the stick is bad.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:52 PM

Fairjoeblue nailed it........I hope. I'm kicking myself for not swapping the memory to another slot. I took the memory from slot 0 and put it in slot 1 and I've been up and running for 3 hours or so now with not even a hiccup. I'm gonna boot up on the memtest CD in a few minutes and let it run a bunch of passes to see if I get any errors. I'll post back with results tomorrow or next day to be sure so we can close this post out.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:58 PM

It's a good idea to let Memtest run overnight :thumbsup:.

Louis

#9 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:04 PM

Many times, especially after working around the memory slots, a stick of memory can be partially dislodged .
That is often not really noticable.
Removing & reseating the memory insures it is properly seated in the slot.

#10 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:46 PM

Haven't seen a BSOD in almost 24 hours now. Ran memtest again last night with memory in the next slot over and it found one error on pass 2 test 6. The other 5 passes were ok. So, the memory is apparently on its way to the trash bin soon. Thanks for the help everyone. I think this problem is solved.

#11 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:33 PM

I haven't seen the BSOD return in a week since moving memory from one slot to the next. I received the new memory, but just haven't gotten around to installing it yet. I think it is safe to say the first memory slot is either going bad or decided it didn't like the memory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users