Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions remain after cleaned laptop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MomsHugs

MomsHugs

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:58 AM

Laptop is now clean & running nicely. Cleaned documents/OE-mail backed up. Non-essential programs removed (ex: Panda, Toshiba's Metamail registry utility). Used Secunia to update (except .NET 3.5). Registry keys for AOL deleted. Scanned by resident Webroot Antivirus/Spysweeper & Ad-Aware/AE. Used CHKDSK in SafeMode, Disk Cleanup, System File Checker & Defrag utilities. Ran CCleaner, UltraDefrag & MalwareByte, rebooted & made changes recommended for XP Performance Tweaks, then rebooted again. A new restore point was set. Laptop now ROCKS! :flowers: [Quietman7 is my new hero for his "Clean first!" list.]

Now I need help to resolve remaining questions:
1. Microsoft's PageDefrag won't open/run (attached Defrag log text file).
2. CCleaner returns list of temp files related to IE5 (IE was auto-updated to 7).
3. Is Microsoft .NET version 3.5 necessary really?
4. Unknown programs were found only in Registry (exported keys to folder).

THANK YOU! to BC's administrators & moderators for all your help. After reading many posts here, I'm very impressed with the expertise & dedication given to people who come here for help. The world of eCommerce owes you folks a lot. You are the BEST! :thumbsup:

MomsHugs (aka Eve)
[Blog: momshugs.blogspot.com]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MomsHugs

MomsHugs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:10 PM

oops - forgot a couple things on my list...
After days/nights of cleaning "house" I look like this: :thumbsup:

5. Java is no longer responding.

Pagefile Defragmentation Log is attached (text file)

Attached Files

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:08 PM

<<1. Microsoft's PageDefrag won't open/run (attached Defrag log text file).>>

I've not ever tried this tool, but someone will respond who has.

<<2. CCleaner returns list of temp files related to IE5 (IE was auto-updated to 7).>>

Sorry, I've never used CCleaner. Are you talking files...or are you referring to registry entries? What is the path given for these "files"?

<<3. Is Microsoft .NET version 3.5 necessary really?>>

MS.NET is a required application which facilitates the running of certain programs and games (as I understand it). If you have a game or program which prompted you to install MS.NET...then it's necessary if you want that program/game to run smoothly. If you have no game or program which prompted you to install MS.NET...then I would say that you could remove it (if you so desire).

I have it installed because my video drivers require it and nLite requires it. If neither required it, I would not have it installed on my systems.

<<4. Unknown programs were found only in Registry (exported keys to folder).>>

Again, I don't use CCleaner, so I have no idea of what an "unknown program" might be. I've never seen any notification of such and I suspect that CCleaner provides you with its definition of such might be.

<<THANK YOU! to BC's administrators & moderators for all your help. After reading many posts here, I'm very impressed with the expertise & dedication given to people who come here for help. The world of eCommerce owes you folks a lot. You are the BEST! :thumbsup:>>

You probably ought to extend application of your thanks...to all the visitors and regulars who also contribute mightily to the suggestions, advice, and assistance provided by this forum (just my opinion). If you look over many of the posts here, I think that you will see that many contributions are made by those who form the larger group...as well as the BC Admins & Mods.

Hang on...someone who does use CCleaner will come along to attempt to answer those questions which seem to remain unaddressed :flowers:.

Louis

Edit: Have you tried updating Jave at the Sun website? Updates appear routinely for Java, often because vulnerabilities have been discovered in older versions.

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:32 PM

I use CCleaner to clean cookies, temp files and the recycle bin. But it also has a registry cleaner. I don't use that. So he has to clarify what feature he is referring to.

#5 MomsHugs

MomsHugs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:09 PM

Hamluis, you are SO right! I will post another "BIG Thank YOU!" in General Chat forum where they moved my first one. Thanks for the reminder! :thumbsup:

Found the unknown applications in Registry via RegEdit. The first one I noticed was Schumberg Smartcards. After ck'g it out first, I deleted it & exported the other Keys to a folder to ck out later. No clue how these got into Registry.

.NET 2.0 works, just not updated to 3.5 for security patch & would like to fix whatever is blocking it.

CCleaner is easy, fast & works very well so I didn't try any others recommended.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,548 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:36 PM

I've seen various reports of some having problems with the newer download for MS.NET 3.5 SP...but I downloaded/installed it (after I had seen these reports) with no problem at all.

The Schumberg Smartcards thing...Motorola is based in Schaumburg, IL, I can't find anything for the spelling you gave.

FWIW: If one is looking at the Software keys in the registry...you are likely to find files for any installation of anything that ever occurred. Although these entries are supposed to be cleaned out by uninstall routines, sometimes it doesn't happen.

It's my opinion that these entries generally do no harm and I tend to remove them whenever (maybe once or twice a year) I get the urge to just wander through my registry entries, looking for software/driver elements which I know are no longer employed on my systems.

Generally, I only remove them because I had a problem with some other software item (such as ATI drivers) that brought about the search effort.

Louis

#7 MomsHugs

MomsHugs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:41 AM

None were installed by me. IMHO, those were OEM apps to begin with, but not originally loaded. I paid to have the HD wiped & loaded only with WindowsXP + AV SO when purchased & I loaded my old MS Office Suite2000. HD was replaced under warranty by BestBuy & IMHO unknown apps came from the OEM Restore disk.

Sorry for the misspelled the name - in a hurry this am & typed from memory.

Questionable Registry Keys Deleted: Schlumberger Smart Cards and Terminals

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Schlumberger\Smart Cards and Terminals\Smart Cards\Schlumberger Cyberflex Access Campus

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,548 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:27 PM

Well...I see (at least) 7 entries in my registry for Schlumberger under HKLM\Software\ Cryptography\Smart Cards and I've never installed a smart card ever on this system.

According to one source, this is a default XP install in the registry...I guess that I can believe that :thumbsup:. I will leave my registry as is.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 February 2009 - 01:28 PM.

#9 jon0111387

jon0111387

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:49 PM

2. CCleaner returns list of temp files related to IE5 (IE was auto-updated to 7).

You might need to update CCleaner, and I don't trust any registry cleaner. If you feel you must use a registry cleaner to speed up your system it would be wise to backup your registry when CCleaner prompts you to do so.

4. Unknown programs were found only in Registry (exported keys to folder).

I don't think you should delete registry keys just because the program is unknown. Before any changes are made to the registry I recommend using ERUNT to back up your registry.

5. Java is no longer responding.

Try un-installing, then re-installing.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users