Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Recovery Disks and Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ecrawf099

ecrawf099

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:25 AM

I have replaced a failed SATA hard drive in an HP a6142n desktop PC running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit. Checked BIOS: New Hard Drive is recognized. Obtained HP Recovery Disks from HP. I try to use the HP recovery disks to restore factory image. It gets to disk 2 where it says, "reinstalling factory image." and freezes. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:21 PM

Call HP or send email to their support.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:09 PM

I've seen some issues at work (but they weren't identical to this). Contacting HP for another set is your best bet at this point.

When I left work yesterday we were restoring a Compaq with the same sort of issue. Once the installation completed we were going to "kill" the software installation routine that follows the actual installation and manually install drivers and applications. I won't know until Monday if that approach worked or not.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 ecrawf099

ecrawf099
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:40 PM

I have spoken with HP support (via online chat). They ended up sending replacement disks. They arrived today, but it looks as though the same thing is happening again. I don't understand. I have done everything that I know to do, I have attempted to research online... alas, to no avail.

Any other thoughts? My customer is getting impatient with me at this point, can't say that I blame them.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:10 PM

I'd leave it up to HP at this point. If it's still under warranty, send it to them to fix. If not, insist upon more restore disks or more detailed troubleshooting assistance.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 ecrawf099

ecrawf099
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:23 PM

The machine is no longer under warranty (amazing how this happens, huh?). I am going to contact HP.

Thanks for the input everone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users