Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor shopping

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:42 AM

I'm in the market for upgrading from my old but venerable Samsung 931BF to a 24" widescreen LCD behemoth. I thought I knew what I wanted until I came across an article about the 3 main types of LCD monitors when I was trying to find one with a great viewing angle. The whole time I didn't know about it and glad I came across it when I did.

So, here's my question: Can anyone name a great, but reasonably priced monitor that uses an MVA or PVA panel? IPS would be ideal, but those are usually way out of my budget. By the way, I'm thinking no more than $550, if possible. Some of the brands that have surfaced as a possibility are NEC, Dell, and Viewsonic. My only concern is whether or not a 5ms or 6ms response time is fast enough for the games.

The reason I want MVA/PVA panel type is two-fold. First is the significantly better viewing angle, so I can just kick back in my chair while playing and not have the game turn black as a result. Secondly is more accurate color. That may not be such a big deal for some, but I'm a graphic designer and I LOVE having the right colors!

The ones I've been keeping my eye on are:

NEC Display

Viewsonic Display

Dell Display

What drives me nuts looking at these displays is that I am unable to find out just what kind of panel type they use! They really should include that, or are they trying to hide the fact that they're using a cheaper TN panel and reaping a nice profit as a result? The only clue I can find about what panel types they are is from the viewing angle they list (160 usually being a TN panel while PVA/MVA are about 170).

*EDIT* Just read about something else to consider for buying a gaming LCD, the input lag. Apparently the Dell display has horrible input lag and that's a no-no with us gamers. So I'm eliminating Dell from the list. I may decide to stick with TN, after all, and just suck it up not being able to have the best viewing angle. BenQ is another brand I checked out. I'm hopeful I can find an IPS display for a decent enough price.

Thanks!

Edited by Venek, 21 February 2009 - 11:08 AM.

UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ricky86

ricky86

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:44 AM

We just did something similar on a Dell 4600. It had a 19". We went to a 21 or 22 Viewsonics wide screen. Aside from the two hours of upgradeing/replacing drivers, when there is text on the screen, it looks like it is streched sideways. After some assisitance, it's usable but far from right. We were told we just have to plug it in. I have no idea how it will affect games but will never do it again.

#3 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:52 AM

We just did something similar on a Dell 4600. It had a 19". We went to a 21 or 22 Viewsonics wide screen. Aside from the two hours of upgradeing/replacing drivers, when there is text on the screen, it looks like it is streched sideways. After some assisitance, it's usable but far from right. We were told we just have to plug it in. I have no idea how it will affect games but will never do it again.

Hmm, did you go into display properties and set the resolution to the native resolution of the display? Since you upgraded the drivers, you should be able to access the proper resolutions in your display settings. If you use NVIDIA, you can also tweak the settings in the NVIDIA Control Panel. I'm nearly 100% certain that it's not the monitor that's distorting your display but the display settings being used by your computer.

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#4 Dragonhart

Dragonhart

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:28 PM

Venek,
As a graphic designer, your best bet is the viewsonic VP line for true color depth. They're a little pricier, but well worth it.
I use a VP930b myself and im eyeballing the 26" version to see how hard my wallet cries..

Gaming response times are just fine on this one :thumbsup: I find the vid card affects more than the current crop of monitors limits, with the high refresh rates and response times across the board compared to the early days.

Edited by Dragonhart, 21 February 2009 - 12:30 PM.

#5 ricky86

ricky86

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:36 PM

I had given up. Got outside help. He worked on it for hours. I guess not everything can be adjusted or repaired in computer land. IMO. I don't think wide screens existed when computer was made. If they did they certainly weren't mainstream. I was just relaying personal experience to you. You won't know for sure until you try.

#6 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:57 PM

All right...

After much research and looking around, I believe I finally came down to choosing between 3 LCD monitors that I have deemed to have the best value.

And they are...

Samsung 2493HM

ASUS VW266H

Vizio VMM26

I decided not to look at Dell, Gateway, or NEC mostly for the simple fact that they cost an arm and a leg and aren't exactly the most conducive to gaming, despite their claims. So, I'm sticking to TN panels for now. Of the above selections, the ASUS and Vizio monitors are actually BIG 25.5" screens and appear to have the most bang for the buck. I believe, however, that I'm leaning towards Samsung not only because that's what I've been using for the last few years, but also because of its matte screen and adjustable stand, which is HUGE to get the best viewing angle. It's nice to know that I'll be able to tilt it down when I lean back in my oh so comfy office chair. Vizio's display is glass, which may make the colors pop but it'll reflect pretty much anything in front of it. Not only that, Vizio's known to be a budget manufacturer, so I'm not fully trusting of their name just yet, especially since it's their first computer monitor and they're likely to be going through some growing pains.

I guess after writing all of that, it's looking more and more like Samsung is the winner. Oh, and it's got a 5ms response time for Black-To-White whereas ASUS only advertises a 2ms Gray-To-Gray response time.

Hopefully this thread has been of help to anyone who's looking for a 24" LCD monitor. I'd say for the money, Samsung's 2493HM is your best bet in terms of overall value and performance.

I think after a few years, though, we'll see a proliferation of OLED monitors and LCD will be rendered obsolete! Here's hoping!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users