Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows Live Vulnerability?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:00 AM

I recently signed up for Windows live, mostly so I could chat with support staff at Microsoft rather than engaging in fruitless searches on their help sites, which always seem to resemble being caught in a Java glitch loop.

The MSN Group functions are closing down this weekend and migrating to Multiply.

Windows Linked Id allows contact through Windows Live Instant Messenger to a Hotmail account (chat) and other Windows Live functions.

Windows was having a lot of problems the past couple days, so many that apparently they put up some very amateurish looking message screens (they appeared to be legitimate). There were messages stating that some services were temporarily unavailable and the like.

During this time I noticed more domain changes than usual and difficulty (sometimes extreme) in accessing and using the Bleeping Computer site. Some of the domain changes were BC shifts from server to server, apparently, but others, for BC and for other sites, were to non-legitimate locations. Sometimes the WHOIS search pages had missing or faulty letters. Sometimes Web of Trust had a gray icon.

I am hoping this vulnerability is only temporary, or is it an inherent one to any linked id system?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:23 AM

Some of the domain changes were BC shifts from server to server, apparently, but others, for BC

I am not exactly sure what you have going on, but BC doesn't 'shift' from server to server.

I use Windows Live Services for a ton of different things, like Live Mesh, the Calendar. Messenger, Sky Drive, Live Writer, and Office Live, and have had no issues over the last few days. If they do happen to have an issue, the user will get a page with a simple error that the site can not be reached. I do not know what your definition of 'amateurish looking message screens' means.

During this time I noticed more domain changes than usual and difficulty

What do you mean by this, and how do you know?

I am hoping this vulnerability is only temporary,

What vulnerability? There is no Windows Live Vulnerability. There have been some issues with the Messenger client, but that is really it. Windows Live is a whole range of services, web applications, and stand-alone apps. It is sort of like saying there is a vulnerability with the Internet.

Sometimes the WHOIS search pages had missing or faulty letters.

Which sites specifically returned problem results? We can't very well help if we can't try to reproduce the error.

Honestly, with all the issues that you have been having, I would guess that you let someone into your system that you shouldn't of, and now it is time for a completer reformat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users