Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ATI 4850 Driver Problems on Vista 64

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Swarms

Swarms

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:12 AM

I didn't know whether to put this in software because of the drivers, or hardware because of the card, so I apologize if this is in the wrong place. First post here....

I've been having driver issues for a week now. Originally, I started getting an error (I don't remember, ATIKMAG.dll I think, but I'm not positive) which would eventually lead to flickers and then a BSoD, which I think first occurred after upgrading Vista drivers from some game installation, I don't remember at this point. I upgraded my drivers through Windows Updates and when I rebooted it went straight to a blue screen because the "Drivers got caught in an infinite loop". Anyway, I uninstalled, cleaned the drivers, ran registry cleaners, tried 5 different versions, they all either blue screen or go to a black screen but don't load Windows. In safe mode it loads fine, and if I uninstall the video drivers I can boot into normal mode using just the standard VGA. Originally I thought it had something to do with dual monitors or the DVI, but I have since disconnected 1 of the monitors and tried the DVI in the other video card slot.

Since then, I have formatted and installed a fresh copy of Vista. I upgraded the video card after the first boot from windows updates and it went to a black screen. Back to where we were. Any ideas? I see a thousands posts with similar problems, but none exactly the same, and none of the suggestions so far have worked.

I have upgraded my Bios.
I have formatted my hard drive.
I have tried uninstalling and using older drivers.
I have tried newer drivers.
I have tried just the Drivers without the Catalyst Control.
I have tried the Newest C++ Redistributable.
Nothing is overclocked, all defaults.

Asus P5B Deluxe
ATI Radeon EAH 4850 HD
8GB OCZ PC 6400
Antec Trio 650W
Intel E6600 2.4Ghz

Before the original driver update I had never had a problem with my configuration, so I'm 99% sure it's not hardware related. I can boot in safe mode and in normal mode if the drivers aren't installed, so I'm fairly certain that's where the issue is. I have done everything I can think of to clean all the drivers and install new copies, so something else must be interfering. Thanks in advance for an advice.

Edited by Swarms, 21 February 2009 - 05:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users