Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer still detects the program when it has been removed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 N!Jr

N!Jr

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:20 AM

Hi guys, I need some help here. A long time ago, I deleted a program (a VPN program really) from my computer without properly uninstalling it. Now I have problems because I want to install the program again (this program is of a new version) but my computer says that it has detected the program and asks if I wanna update it instead; I clicked yes and the computer program gives me an error message that it can't find the specific file(s) to update. Any help here guys? Oh the program I'm referring to is 'Hamachi' if that will help in any way.

Thanks in advanced.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Commander_Kang

Commander_Kang

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:26 AM

I'd recommend downloading Revo Uninstaller (free) from download.com. Run the program. If it locates the VPN program you want to get rid of, select it and click uninstall. Then select the Deep (or advanced, or whatever the name is, can't remember) uninstall. This should remove all traces of the program, including orphaned registry entries and old leftover remnants which might be preventing you from installing the newer version. I love Revo...great freeware.

Good luck.

Kang
...Soon, they will make a board with a nail so big, it will destroy them all!

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:33 AM

You could boot into Safe Mode, go to Start> Search> choose all Files and Folders, type in Hamachi and click on search. Remember to delete the entries in the Recycle bin.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:40 PM

If you do a manual search, you always need to remember that there are two places to do such...the files and the registry.

I personally trust myself to remove items from the registry...much more than I can ever trust some program devised to remove undisclosed objects according to some formula devised by someone else.

Offhand, I would guess that the install routine for that program detects registry entries for folders and files which no longer exist (because you deleted them). Normally, a program installing will just overwrite such...but maybe the entries are damaged, I don't know.

Louis

#5 N!Jr

N!Jr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:01 PM

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I've downloaded 'Revo Uninstaller' and am currently running it in 'Hunter Mode' since it can't detect 'Hamachi' with the usual uninstall function, so I'm gonna do a manual search in my registry and see how it goes.

Edit:

Alright, I've stumbled on a problem while deleting entries in my registry.

Posted Image

I can't delete them. The Error is 'Unable to delete specified values'. What now? :thumbsup:

Edited by N!Jr, 21 February 2009 - 10:11 PM.

#6 jon0111387

jon0111387

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:42 PM

This might be a stupid question but have you tried using add/remove in the control panel?

If you cant delete the registry values using Revo have you tried deleting them manually with just regedit, maybe in safe mode also, and don't forget to backup regisrty before any changes :thumbsup: .

These questions might sound simple but I just want to cover all possibilities :flowers: .

#7 N!Jr

N!Jr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:31 AM

This might be a stupid question but have you tried using add/remove in the control panel?

Yes I have, but the computer says it can't find the program thus removing it from its list.

If you cant delete the registry values using Revo have you tried deleting them manually with just regedit, maybe in safe mode also, and don't forget to backup regisrty before any changes :thumbsup: .

I am deleting the values using regedit thus how I encountered the problem. I'll try doing it in safe mode.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:42 AM

The registry is not the place that you want to make a mistake as one error can render your computer into a door stop, it has been suggested that you backup the registry before making any changes, I agree and would suggest ERUNT.

Backup Your Registry with ERUNT
  • Please use the following link and scroll down to ERUNT and download it.
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php
  • For version with the Installer:
    Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer
  • For the zipped version:
    Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Merasya

Merasya

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:45 AM

What comes to my mind from the image you included is that maybe you are trying to delete a subentry that has dependencies to the root entry. If so, just delete the root entry instead. This will remove all the subentries, removing any dependency problems. Of course, you only want to do this when all of the subentries in the tree relate to the exact same item.

By this I mean do not bother trying to delete the service value setting of Hamachi as it appears all those entries are for Hamachi. Instead delete the folder on the left side of RegEdit that displays all those entries. If this is what you tried then forgive me, just trying to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users