Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ipv4 Ipv6. I need help. Accidentally Installed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Roadblock

Roadblock

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:57 AM

Hey guys. I accidentally installed Ipv6, and it causes issues. I want to go back to the old Ipv4 I had. How can I re-install Ipv4? and how do I remove Ipv6?

I have done the following steps to remove Ipv6 Start > Run > cmd /k netsh interface ipv6 uninstall. After typing that line, it said "O.K". Which I assume means it uninstalled. But the problem is that I restarted my computer and I can re-enter the commands and re-access that same interface. I thought it was uninstalled, to me it seems like I shouldn't be able to re-access it.

Now comes the major question. How do I get Ipv4 back. I'm guessing from removing IPV6 it will not revert back to Ipv4. I'm assuming IPv6 overrided IPv4. If anyone can assist me in making sure IPv6/Teredo is off my computer and assisting me with re-installing Ipv4. I would greatly appreciate any experienced help.

Thank you kindly,

Josh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:59 AM

I've done this myself and experienced problems and there is an easy fix :thumbsup:.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv4

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555577

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc779349.aspx

And the way that I believe I did it:

Just go Start/Control Panel/Network & Internet Connections/Network Connections...right-click on your connection and select Properties.

In the window, scroll down to the Install button, click it. Click on Protocol, push Add button. Scroll to TCP/IP, select, hit OK.

You should now be able to select the Microsoft TCP/IP 6 and uninstall it, in the window.

Louis

#3 Roadblock

Roadblock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:26 PM

Thanks so much hamluis. How would I get back v4? Does v4 and v6 work together so it should still be on my computer. Or do I have to get ipv4 back somehow? I think Ipv6 overrides it, although I am unsure

Edited by Roadblock, 21 February 2009 - 01:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users