Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet explorer options (tool bars missing)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 svpersleep

svpersleep

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 03 June 2005 - 12:51 PM

My laptop recently crashed and I had to replace my hard drive. Well everything is back to normal as far as I can tell except for when I open Internet Explorer. Before the crash my Internet Explorer had about twice as many option buttons. Buttons at the top under the "Toolbars 'Standard Buttons'" that allowed me to do different things like opening the same page that I was looking at in a new window, bouncing back and forth between multiple open windows, and close just one or all of the windows... in addition to this missing toolbar, I also had more commands under the "Tools" option at the top of Internet Explorer, commands which I no longer have. I have tried to download or update the most recent version of I.E. and I think I have done it correctly but it's like I've got the most basic version of I.E. ever. I have been through ever option I could find looking for ways to activate these missing options/commands but can't seem to figure out what's wrong. I was wondering if anyone knows what I can do to regain these options, and also whether it is a problem with my version of I.E., Windows XP, or Earthlink (my service provider)? I've updated all of them to the most recent versions. Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 03 June 2005 - 08:40 PM

bouncing back and forth between multiple open windows, and close just one or all of the windows.

That sounds like tabbed browsing to me and IE does not have tabbed browsing. You can add several 'front-ends' to IE some of which will give you tabbed browsing but I'm not sure which is which - Opera maybe? I'm sure there has been lots of comment on browser add-ons elswhere in this forum.

My suggestion would be to give Firefox a try - it has tabbed browsing, it will import all your favourites from IE as it installs and it's an excellent browser. The latest version of the Firefox browser can be found here:
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users