Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Laptop/Vista/Slow/Many trial programs/buggy

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy James

Jeremy James

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:41 AM

I am trying to help a friend of mine out. He has an Acer Laptop, model 5520, and it has been "buggy" and slow for him. I took a look at it tonight (it was my first real experience with Vista, to my recollection," and it seemed to be overloaded with trial and extra crap software. I tried to remove the trial of Norton, and it hung up at the very end. I am not sure if it's gone or not.

Because I am extremely unfamiliar with Vista, I need help in navigating it, and knowing what to, and how to, delete what I need to do.

I am pretty sure this computer has next to no spyware/adware on it, although, I have been proved wrong.

Jeremy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:13 AM

Start by using this free tool to remove the remnants of Norton: http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgen...005033108162039
Then immediately get a replacement for it. Here's a link to our freeware topic that gives some alternatives: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

After that, check the Taskbar to see what's running that doesn't need to be. Then, using that info, go to the Control Panel...Programs...Uninstall a program applet to remove the one's you don't need.

Once you've done that, then investigate the processes running in Task Manager...Processes tab to see what else is running that you don't need.
Research the image names to find out what program the process belongs to - and then remove the one's that you don't need.
Once that's done, post back and we can offer more advice to help with the svchost.exe processes (there's stuff running inside them too).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:55 AM

Start by using this free tool to remove the remnants of Norton: http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgen...005033108162039
Then immediately get a replacement for it. Here's a link to our freeware topic that gives some alternatives: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

After that, check the Taskbar to see what's running that doesn't need to be. Then, using that info, go to the Control Panel...Programs...Uninstall a program applet to remove the one's you don't need.

Once you've done that, then investigate the processes running in Task Manager...Processes tab to see what else is running that you don't need.
Research the image names to find out what program the process belongs to - and then remove the one's that you don't need.
Once that's done, post back and we can offer more advice to help with the svchost.exe processes (there's stuff running inside them too).

Before I posted my inital post, I went through the add/remove programs to remove norton, and there were multiple listings of Norton in there. I removed one completely, and one is still there. However, I don't know what version of Norton is still on this comptuer. Also, the Norton icon has been removed from the Start Menu and also the main screen. so, is it completely uninstalled, or, are there fragments?

Jeremy

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:47 PM

Most likely there are still remnants of it on your system. Use this free tool to remove those remnants of Norton: http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgen...005033108162039
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:45 PM

May I ask, what are the specs of this Laptop? And exactly how long have you had it?
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#6 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:28 PM

I have resolved the issues with this laptop. Thank you so much.

Jeremy :huh:

#7 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:31 PM

How did you fix it? It will just be information if someone else were to get this same problem.

#8 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:24 PM

The main issue that I had was that I had been unable to see what version of Norton had been on this computer, so, it took me a while to be able to know what removal program to download. After that, the computer still seemed "buggy," and I finally attributed it to an issue with that specific model and the mouse pad on the laptop.

After disabling the tapping feature, it operated much more smoothly. I nearly deleted all of the Acer management software that was on it, but, after reviewing that the computer had a high amount of ram, I decided to keep it on there.

#9 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:27 PM

So it was your mousepad and the Norton?

#10 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter