Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding a Wireless router is driving me nuts

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tacoidentity

tacoidentity

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:38 AM

Ok i am a noob for sure on this site, my first post is about to commence.

I have a dell laptop 6400, prolly doesnt matter. I am not a computer idiot but im not the best. Here is the deal:

Little background info...
I have cable internet and the modem that time warner brought with it. I have been connected forever through a USB connection however i am only getting 10mbps which is pretty lame considering i used to get a lot more with wireless when i lived at home with FIOS. It hasnt been bothering me too much and thats not my issue. However whenever my brother brings over his ps3 or my gf brings her laptop they cannot connect because i dont have wireless router connected and everyone in my apt has a secure network.

So i get a Linksys wireless G router, try to hook it up but come to the conclusion that my ethernet port on my laptop is blown. And in order to configure the router and create a secure network you have to have it hooked up to a computer (so i think). So i buy an rj45 - USB adapter, problem fixed right? wrong. Well i install the adapter and its not a cheap one...and as soon as i plug in the ethernet from the modem (or router) my computer pops up that blue screen saying i have to shut down the computer.

All i want to do is setup my router so my gf can login to my secured network to do homework without needing my comp. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know, i have been dealing with this for 4 hrs tonight and tired of messing with it and have no energy to read forums for the next 8 to maybe come across my answer.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

thank you,
Danny

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Commander_Kang

Commander_Kang

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:16 AM

taco,

I'm no expert either, but you don't say much about the equipment you've installed. What model of router did you get? What is the make of the rj45 adapter? Did it come with an installation disk? Have you searched for the correct drivers? Once a connection is made to your router, the setup should be quite simple. I can't explain why the rj45 would be crashing your pc. What OS are you running? If the OS is not able to locate and load the correct driver for your adapter, you may need to find the drivers elsewhere and install them.
...Soon, they will make a board with a nail so big, it will destroy them all!

#3 tacoidentity

tacoidentity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:55 AM

The rj45 adapter is an arkview gigabit lan adapter. I plugged it in and then put in the disk which i think was backwards but it said everything installed ok. I have windows XP. And im not sure how to search for drivers and stuff, i know how to go to network places and open the connections and whatnot but thats about it i dont know what all that stuff means. Hope this helps

#4 Commander_Kang

Commander_Kang

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:52 AM

The easiest way to check the device status / driver status is using Device Manager. Go to Start>Control Panel>Printers and Other Hardware>System>.

Click on the Hardware tab, and open Device Manager.

See if you can locate your adapter in Device Manager (probably under Network Adapters). Once you find it, right-click it and select Properties. This will tell you the status of the device. You may want to run the built in troubleshooter, if available, by clicking on the "Troubleshoot" button, if it is present.

If this doesn't help, click on the Driver tab, and select Driver Details. Click on Update Driver... and see if Windows can automatically locate an appropriate driver. If this doesn't work, click Update Driver again, and put the software cd in. Windows should detect the drivers present on the cd and take over from there. If this does not happen, click on Install from a specific location and point windows to the cd.

If, after installing the correct drivers, your windows still gives you a BSOD, record the exact message displayed and post it here. This might help someone search for a different solution.

Kang

#5 tacoidentity

tacoidentity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:35 PM

I have done all that...I updated the driver yesterday and it asked for the cd which i gave it....it was the same cd i used to install the thing. Im assuming the BSOD message is the big blue screen that pops up basically telling me to shut down my computer? I followed all the troubleshooting stuff and it makes it sound like i may just have a bad adapter. I got it off amazon but it was 18 bucks not a cheap $2 one. Do you think if i just plug my gf's computer in at my apt (assuming her ethernet port is good) that i can configure my router that way and both of us can just stay connected to it wirelessly? Or is it in my best interest to setup the router with my computer?

Thanks this is driving me up the walls.

#6 Commander_Kang

Commander_Kang

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:07 PM

That might be your best bet. It won't matter whose computer you use to set up your router. Once you get your router configured using your gf's computer, check to see if there's an option to enable wireless management of the router. That way, if your gf's computer isn't available, you may still be able to log in to your router via wireless connection.

#7 tacoidentity

tacoidentity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:15 PM

Ok thanks kang! ill be back if things go wrong but i think i can manage a simple setup of a router if my gfs comp will take the ethernet cable...it does come with an idiot proof CD haha.

thanks again,
TACO

#8 Commander_Kang

Commander_Kang

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:20 PM

Good luck. Let me know how it goes...if you can get back on the Internet. LOL!! :thumbsup:

#9 tacoidentity

tacoidentity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:58 PM

OK, well that was a no-go...My gfs laptop (whos ethernet port does work) could not get a connection from my modem. Does that mean that my modem that does have a usb and an ethernet connection. may not work with ethernet? I have an installation CD but only thing it has on it is for USB connection....please any thought would be nice. If thats the case should i buy a new modem or call timewarner and tell them about my problem? Kang, you have been keeping my sane!

#10 Commander_Kang

Commander_Kang

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:55 PM

taco,

What is the make/model of router you're using. What OS is on your gf's computer? I assume that you plugged the cable in, and opened a web browser, and tried going to 192.168.1.1? What was the outcome? If you have tried this and have not gotten a response from your router, have you tried performing a hard reset (holding in on the hidden / recessed button on the back of the router)?

Kang

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users