Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Boot after rezising a partition

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:01 AM

I have a pre-installed Computer with XP and I dual booted with Vista. I installed Norton partition magic and was proceeding to resize my partitions. I wanted to add some more size to the Vista partition by taking something away from the XP Partition. Once the computer rebooted it went about resizing (took a while). Unfortunately once the computer started up again I was unable to boot into my XP Partition. The Vista partition worked fine. Someone mentioned that you can't resize, but only repartition once dual booted. What was my mistake or should I have been able to do what I was trying to do. I performed a repair installation and seem to have fixed my XP partition. I did lose my dual Boot menu screen with Vista and XP, but can repair that using Vista boot pro loader. Ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:34 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

First...I don't have Vista installed as a dual-boot (or otherwise) and I don't even know if it is compatible with Vista.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=P...mp;aq=f&oq=

I've used some version of PM for about 10 years...it works best when users ask it to perform one operation at a time, even though it appears that you can have it perform several operations at once.

So...if I want to delete one partition or resize one AND resize a different partition...I do that in 2 steps. I delete the partition I want eliminate or decrease the size of the one which I want to reduce. Once PM has rebooted from that...and then XP may demand another reboot...I then resize the second partition.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users