Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I finally got a xp home cd and im trying to reinstall xp wo losing files

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Doomsis

Doomsis

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:05 PM

I looked at so many tutorials but it just confuses me. I boot cd, enter, f8- then there;s this partition page. The choices are my H: Fat32 or my partition 2 which has a lot of space. I try to put my H but it says not enough space. All the directions i looked at are confusing me- after i press H it asks to partition NTFS. Isn't that basically wiping out all my files. Some screens i have seen are not the same as mine. I have a Presario compaq running windows xp home edition.

Every time i follow directions i chicken out because im not sure 100% that im doing it right

Edited by Doomsis, 20 February 2009 - 11:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:47 AM

Hi there!

Here is your link, friend: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

#3 Doomsis

Doomsis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:41 PM

my windows files are corrupted so i cannot use recovery, safe mode, or start normally. I am trying to do a fresh installation to save the old files. It says not enought room to reinstall on original but whenever they direct me to part on step by step i do not see that screen after f8- isee the partition page. I heard you are suppose to go through dos prompt and i do not know how or where to start

http://www.informationweek.com/shared/prin...equestid=388882

after screen 5 i do not see that screen.- it goes to a partition page to choose where to reinstall windows files. If i were to put it in partition 2 what am i suppose to do next. How do i tranfer files or how do i delete the old windows if i do partition. Said if i do partition im suppose to delete old windows file but i do not have access to administrator since the computer files got corrupted.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:21 AM

I would suggest doing a repair installation, this way you shouldn't lose any data.

Note: The system repair function will remove any updates you have previously installed that are not included on the CD. Drivers will also be reverted to their original XP versions, as well as some settings (network & performance settings may sometimes be reset to their defaults). It may be necessary to reactivate your Windows XP as well. When finished, you will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update, because they are all replaced during repair.

Boot the computer from the XP CD. You may need to change boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
You do not want to choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair isn't one of the option end the installation, this will mean that you will need to do a fresh installation of XP.

The repair will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot, the repair installation will continue after the reboot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Doomsis

Doomsis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:26 PM

the product came directly from microsoft and it says service pack kit oem. I did everthing right but when i enter ID# key it says its invalid. I used the service pack cd to do the process you decribed. Then I try to enter the Microsoft Home edition plus but it keeps askin for service pack so i put it in but it keeps saying invalid #. When i opened the package it came in two discs containing the media cd, home edition windows plus, and oem service pack.. Also the Product key sticker was placed on a plastic stored inside the package. Could it be possible that someone opened it. It says the software is in new condition. The CDs were completely clean. Its says by opening this package you are a computer builder. I followed the directions for fresh isntallating but the key does not work.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,126 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:39 PM

Tell us exactly what the typed label on the kit says, please. The full description, if you will.

Your abbreviated responses don't help anyone to know exactly what it is that you have on hand.

Louis

#7 Doomsis

Doomsis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:07 PM

Microsoft OEM System Builder Pack.

If you open this package:

Each individual software license inside package may only be distributed with fully assembled computer system. If the individual software license is for a desktop operating system or application software, it also must be preinstalled on the hard drive of the fully assembled computer system. This preinstallation requirement does not apply to server software.

If you do not open this package:
The entire unopened package may be distributed to another system builder. Because an unopened package is not considered an individual software license. It can be distributed by itself, without any accompanying hardware.

You may only deliver this package or its contents in the territory defined at:

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/sblicense/territory

Intended for PC and server manufacturers or assemblers only.

I paid like $106 and it said that it was brand new a special order that it will be sent to manufacturer to make sure its packed what it needs.
When I looked at the page it never said anything about a Builder pack but a kit

The CDs that it came with brand news disks in an envelope with the info above:

-Microsoft Plus for windows xp
-Microsoft Plus Digital Media
-Windows Home Edition (which was previously installed to my computer until it got corrupted) that Includes Service Pack 2 Version 2002. Ihe cover of cd looks like those graphic card designs you see on trading cards.

Here is where I bought it and should be more detail:
http://sector29.com/PRODUCT_PAGES/249/249-...b283ed807b183c9

I have a bad feeling I was brought to wrong product. If by any chance I bought wrong software, what would be the wisest place to purchase a windows xp home edition so I can fix my computer already. Everytime i start the computer it goes to the blue screen where it begins to download software until it asks for product key.

below the description of the software, it tells how the product will be checked before it ships to me.

#8 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:11 PM

Can't you get it Straight off Microsoft? And if your lucky, I know Best Buy have Windows XP Professional Disks for sale in their stores.

Edited by Swordie, 04 March 2009 - 11:11 PM.

Who said I couldn't have everything?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,126 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:57 PM

OK, thanks :thumbsup:.

Ignore the 2 CDs with Microsoft Plus on them.

Since you already have XP Home installed on your system, you now have two licenses which you can use...the one that originally is on your system...and the new one you purchased. I would use the license key from your system when doing the repair (that would allow you to use the other at some time in the future) but either one should work.

If you don't have the license/key from your current system written down, you can use a tool like SIW Download - http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html to find that and other important information about your system. The XP key will be under the Licenses category of data displayed.

What you have is an OEM XP Home SP2 install CD, same as I have lying around here. It's a full version of XP Home complete through SP2 and your license allows you to install it on any one system.

You can use it to repair any system which has XP Home (thru SP2) installed on it. You cannot use it to repair an XP Home system with SP3 installed on the system.

The suggestions provided by DC3 are excellent if you are trying to do a repair install.

For reference purposes:

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Note: A repair install of XP may not necessarily correct whatever is wrong with your system, it's merely an attempt to correct what is wrong while not losing any of your data files.

Louis

#10 Doomsis

Doomsis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:57 PM

I have a question about the download used to help find old key from old system because the computer i'm trying to fix cannot login and go to desktop.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,126 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:53 AM

Well...if you cannot boot into XP, you cannot use that tool to find out the old key.

If you do a repair install and use the new key, it will overwrite the old one...but the repair install may correct whatever is wrong with your system.

If the repair install fails to correct your problems...you will then have the option of doing a clean install with the new key. A clean install will remove your old install...unless you install to a different hard drive.

If you install to a different hard drive, then you could try to remove your old data files from the old hard drive...after attaching the old hard drive as a slave drive to the new.

I don't know anything about linux applications...but you might be able to use one of them to backup your data files from the old hard drive. Others will have to comment on that line of thought.

Louis

#12 Doomsis

Doomsis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:41 PM

Since it keeps going to the blue screen where it ask for product key, how do i start all over again for repair install?so i can boot CD and do a repair isntall instead

#13 Doomsis

Doomsis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:26 AM

I found mu old cd disk and its service pack 4. when I turn the computer on with the xp disk in it it will try to load & it tells me it will take about 38 minutes then after 1 minute a fatal error box comes up & thats as far as I can get using xp professional service pack 4. is there any way to start all over with the original disk? but i keep being brought to the 38 min screen

Edited by Doomsis, 12 March 2009 - 11:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users