Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange typing cursor behavior

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 wyndy34

wyndy34

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:34 PM

I suddenly have what looks like 2 separate, overlapping cursor lines that flash (blink) at slightly different speeds. It happens anywhere a text can be entered. How can I determine if there is a corrupted file somewhere, or if there is some sort of malware or keylogger etc., hiding on the machine? The pc runs XP sp3, recently updates ran; Kaspersky Internet Security 2009; ie 7 and firefox browsers as well as word and other progs all exhibit this behavior. Adaware found and deleted a Lovgate worm after Kaspersky cleared off a huer.Generic trojan. The files I submitted turned out to be false positives. The pc effected is networked on a small network and appears to be the only one effected. I don't see any problem software installed but if anything is there that shouldn't be I want it gone! Where to start?
Thank you for any ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:22 PM

Hi there!

I really do not think that you are infected, but reply to my first question please.

Are you using Mozilla Firefox 3?

#3 wyndy34

wyndy34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:30 PM

Yes, I use v3.0.6.

I did make a short video clip of the problem. Should I post a link if it would help?

Edited by wyndy34, 20 February 2009 - 10:34 PM.

#4 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:58 PM

No need for that.

Mozilla Firefox 3.0.* uses Caret Browsing, which is similar to the cursor in text boxes and word processing applications.

Caret browsing can be turned on or off by pressing F7 on your keyboard. When you press F7, please click on the button No and the Caret browsing will stop.

:thumbsup:

edit: typo

Edited by Jay-P VIP, 20 February 2009 - 10:59 PM.

#5 wyndy34

wyndy34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:06 PM

Thanks for the try, That's not it. It is still the same.

I noticed it does it on notepad docs, even in the dos prompt box.

Here's the clip capture. Its very short but it shows it: <rapidshare.com/files/197720631/Double_Cursor_Capture1.avi>

#6 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:18 PM

See if this helps, my friend

#7 wyndy34

wyndy34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:31 PM

No good.

Normally, when you click once in an empty box, the carat line " l " will just flash on and off. On this machine it does that, PLUS in the same character location " ;" or sometimes " . " also flashes but at a slightly different speed. There should only be one(1) carat line blinking. None of the other machines display this behavior, and at the very least it is quite irritating.

#8 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:06 AM

It seems that the character accessibility file in Windows has been modified, maybe by a bad software, or possibly a problem with a Windows Update.

I will get back to you soon, as I attempt to receive the okay to recommend a fixer for you. It should be soon, friend!

#9 wyndy34

wyndy34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:11 AM

Thank you very much!

#10 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:22 AM

Okay, let us go ahead and try System File Checker.

As soon as this finishes, please restart your machine, then please post back here to confirm whether it worked or not. :thumbsup:

Please let me know if you have any prompts for the Windows XP Professional CD.

#11 wyndy34

wyndy34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:10 AM

Program ran, installed XP disc for requested dll's, windows update performed.

Same problem exists after reboot.

Any more ideas?

edit- additional info; On a lark I ran Malwarebytes' Anti-malware scan. This showed up: Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{549b5ca7-4a86-11d7-a4df-000874180bb3} (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.

I didn't do anything to it just saved the log. I do think there may be remnants of something floating around yet. I'll await any comments.

Edited by wyndy34, 21 February 2009 - 12:24 PM.

#12 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:13 PM

Okay, I was going to recommend to go to the Malware removal forums, but since you already ran MBAM, please navigate to the Malware removal forums, and start a new topic requesting help. Please direct them to this forum address (copy+paste the forum URL, then place it in to the new topic). They will close this topic, to avoid confusion.

Thank you for complying with me, but I see your problem now! :thumbsup:

Edited by Jay-P VIP, 21 February 2009 - 03:15 PM.

#13 wyndy34

wyndy34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:19 PM

Will do! Thanks for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users