Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Home Network

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mrgooey

mrgooey

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:25 PM

I want to share some files between my both PC and my xbox.
This is what I have :

Windows Vista Home Premium - Wireless adapter. Gets internet through wireless router 1. Internet Works.
Windows XP Home - Connected to wireless router 1, then to Internet. Internet works
Xbox 360 - Uses a wireless router 2 as a client. Can go to Xbox Live, so Internet on my xbox works fine.
Workgroup : Named MSHOME

Xbox = It can connect to my XP but cant connect to my Vista. In my Vista "Network" page, I can see the Xbox360 name and icon. When, I click on it, it gives the Media Sharing in Windows Media Player. However, I can't see the Xbox but I see "Other Users of this PC".

Windows Vista = Cant see the XP anywhere on my network. However, I have McAfee and go to Manage Network. In there, I can see my XP which is marked as friend. I try using the network setup wizards, but it doesn't work.

Windows XP = Can only the Xbox but not the Vista. I tried the network setup wizard. I chose the option (the first one) which is the main pc (the xp) is connected to router. And everyone else is connected by that router (wire or wireless). I enter the name and workgroup and click next. It tells me to wait few minutes. However, after it is complete, it gives me a error to restart or to do it manually. I don't know how to do it manually and restarting the wizard does not help. All other options beside the first one does not give me any error. But, it still doesn't work.

Thanks for reading all this. Sorry for my bad english.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Commander_Kang

Commander_Kang

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:44 AM

Check out this link to see if your question is answered here:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...f791033.mspx#ES

I had to install the LLTD protocol on my xp machines in order for them to be seen by Vista.

You may also have to check the home network name on your Vista machine. The default name is not the same as in XP and this can cause problems with the computers not being able to "see" each other.

Good Luck

Kang
...Soon, they will make a board with a nail so big, it will destroy them all!

#3 mrgooey

mrgooey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:13 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I tried the site, but it still does not work. I try installing the LLTD but my Windows XP told me that I already have the latest service pack so I don't need to install it. The Network Name is the same.

Any other advice ?

Note : I got this working before, but the Vista can only see the XP. But, XP can not see the Vista. I ran the Network Setup Wizard like before and it gives me an error. But, somehow works. I tried the program Network Magic Pro, it seems to work but I don't want to use this program since it lags my XP.

Thanks.

#4 Commander_Kang

Commander_Kang

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:29 AM

Not sure if I'm knowledgeable enough in this area to help you. I'd make sure that the Vista workgroup is named the same as your XP network -- don't trust the Wizard to do this for you. Go in to the System application by hitting the windows button and searching for "System". Go down to where it shows the computer name and workgroup name, and if they need to be changed, change it. Also, you will have to make sure that all of Vista's sharing features are enabled by going into Network and Sharing Center and making sure that File Sharing and Public Folder Sharing are enabled. If you do in fact make any changes during any of these steps, make sure that you reboot your computer so the changes will register on the network.

Good luck.

Kang

Edited by Commander_Kang, 22 February 2009 - 12:29 AM.

#5 mrgooey

mrgooey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:20 PM

Thanks for the help. I did everything but the problem is still there. Thanks for trying to help. :thumbsup:

#6 Commander_Kang

Commander_Kang

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:10 PM

Do you have a firewall enabled? It may be interfering with the computers' ability to recognize one another. I would try deleting any trusted networks that are saved in your firewall software, and that way, when your pc reconnects to the network, the new settings will be incorporated into your firewall rules.

Keep trying...I had a lot of difficulties getting my xp/vista network setup, but it's working great now.

Kang

#7 mrgooey

mrgooey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:32 PM

lol, firewall. I never likes firewalls. I don't install any firewalls and I always disable the Windows Firewalls ( I just checked just to make sure ).

#8 mrgooey

mrgooey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:11 PM

Somehow, my sharing works now ...

I didn't test the sharing files, but somehow I can see my XP on my Windows Media Player. On my XP in media share on WMP, i can see xbox 360 and my vista. But, I want my xbox 360 to share with my Vista, not my XP. Any advice anyone ???

#9 mrgooey

mrgooey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:33 AM

it dosen't matter anymore. I will just use the USB adapter so I can share files. My xbox got RROD ... :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users