Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W2K SP4 Services.exe slowdown associated with NIC

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:59 PM

Stats: W2K, SP4 Intel mthbrd, on-board NIC
Environment: Firefox 3.x, No Script, Zone Alarm ver 7.x, Old AVG 7.5, SpyBot, DHCP, Sharing Off

All scans clean. OS Updated. Been studying this a while. Been "watching" Gibbs in Infoworld with similar problem. So far have been un-wiling to do the dump and pump method -- reminds me too much of my divorce.

Tools used: ProcessExp, Hijack This, SDfix and those listed above

I have narrowed it down to the NIC (on-board). Computer used to work fine. Do not know for sure if I ever downloaded the latest driver for the NIC (from MS, I am sure that I have never done so from Intel). But I went back to the original drivers for the NIC -- with no change.

First noticed several months ago, that when I left the computer for a while (maybe an hour) and then tried to access the internet, there was appeared to be a lock-out. If I access the NIC configuration and stepped through the tabs, the hourglass would appear and then the system would come back in a minute or two.

Using ProessExp to monitor the situation (100% usage of Service.exe) it became clear that if I toggled the NIC the system would hang for anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 minutes with 100% going to Services.exe, either enable or disable. Even if you alter any setting in the properties of the LAN Connection. For example, alter the DNS IP's, you get the hourglass and a two minute hang.

Have perused the internet and eliminated the services.exe (fservices.exe) trojan/virus/etc as a possibility. Zone Alarm makes no difference -- on or off.

If I have been trojaned, I have probably pissed them off. I am one of those guys that not only (most of the time) disables the NIC when I am done, not to mention uses the firewall to lock up the computer, if I forget. Lately I have kept the modem in close reach, and I slap the kill button on the modem, before I disable (or enable). That seems to shorten the hang time. In between the off's and on's, the system seems to work fine for an old dog.

When on the internet, ProcessExp shows nominal activity with an occasional DPC blip.

I have already considered taxing Intel for another NIC driver, and/or sticking in a different NIC card.

But if you guys have seen this before, the challenge is up!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users