Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

confirm malware removal?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mbwiles

mbwiles

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:36 PM

I was having the "windowsclick.com redirect" problem to which other users have referred as well. I use Firefox as my primary browser, and any time I performed a Google search & clicked on a result, I would get re-directed to/through(?) windowsclick.

I tried searching for solutions to the problem and came up with a couple, though I initially couldn't log on to a number of sites - both those that came up in search results (including bleepingcomputer.com) as well as solutions I could access (e.g. wouldn't let me on to swandog42.geekstogo.com for "Avenger). I assume this inability to access help sites is a result of the malware. Likewise, I had the same problem others have described with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware -- I could download it but it wouldn't run no matter what I tried.

Eventually, I think(?) through using another browser (Safari, even though I'm Windows XP), I got to a solution & could run Malwarebytes. Unfortunately, I had not yet accessed this forum where users are told NOT to run ComboFix, so I did that as part of one of the solutions. I hope that won't preclude me from assistance -- I don't seem to be having the problem with windowsclick, Firefox & Google any more, but WHAT I REALLY WANT TO DO IS CONFIRM THAT I HAVE TAKEN ALL CORRECT & POSSIBLE STEPS TO ELIMINATE MALWARE.

Thanks in advance for help, and here are steps I have taken thus far:

1) Downloaded & ran "Avenger."
2) Downloaded & ran "Malware Anti-Malware."
3) Downloaded & ran "Spyware Terminator."
4) Downloaded & ran "Avira Antivir Personal."
5) Downloaded & ran "ComboFix"

This was using the following two solution descriptions:
A) http://www.myantispyware.com/2009/01/24/ho...uacdsys-trojan/
:thumbsup: http://tech.elementfx.com/blog/2009/02/11/...lick-infection/

Again, I apologize if I jumped the gun by doing any of the foregoing without guidance. I need to make sure it's all gone. (In addition to windowsclick, I seem to have been unable to remove the "MyWebSearch" toolbar from Firefox, though one of the above programs seemed to delete some MWS files. That may be a different solution, I realize, but I wanted to mention it.)

I hope I have given all the relevant info.

Thank you.
mbwiles

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,725 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:12 PM

Short of posting a HJT log for review in the HJT forum, if you have run all those and followed the instructions you posted ,I feel you got it. All the scans come back clean now?
Have you cleared and reset your Restore point?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 mbwiles

mbwiles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:09 AM

Yes, the scans seem to be clean & the last instructions had me deactivate & reactivate the system restore.

I don't really know what HJT does - do you think that would be worth it?

Thank you SO much!

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,725 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:56 AM

Hello,as your PC is running well now it may may a good idea. They are busy in HJT and may need a couple days to respond. HJT displays legitimate and illegitimate programs without judgment, so donít just remove everything it finds; but the comprehensive list it generates finds things no other detection tool will catch. (HJT is also useful in seeing what else your computer is running without your knowledge.)

HijackThis lists the contents of key areas of the Registry and hard drive--areas that are used by both legitimate programmers and hijackers. The program is continually updated to detect and remove new hijacks. It does not target specific programs and URLs, only the methods used by hijackers to force you onto their sites.

As a result, false positives are imminent, and unless you're sure about what you're doing, you always should consult with knowledgeable folks before deleting anything. Version 2.0.2 includes unspecified updates.

trend micro
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users