Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer fan and heat problem/concern

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wicks_10

wicks_10

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:36 PM

I have recently cleaned up some malware with the help from people in the HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal form. After that, I followed steps to clean up the computer with check disk, scandisk, defrag, pagedefrag, etc. I also shut down startup services that were not needed. As of now, I have much more free memory and the computer probably has not ran this well since it was new (It is a laptop by the way if that may help). The only concern I have is that before I had any problems with malware, the fan would not turn on unless the CPU was running close to 100% while doing tasks. Other than that it never seemed to have a heat problem. Since I have cleaned it up, the fan will kick on quite often even when I am not doing much. For example, playing music takes about 5-8% CPU and that will cause it to kick on and run until the music is stopped. This didn't happen before. It will even kick on when the computer just sits here if it is given enough time to warm up.

I have not changed its placement or put anything around it that would restrict airflow. I asked about the malware removal process changing anything but was told that it shouldn't have had any effect on that. I downloaded speedfan to see what the temp was on the CPU and it gets to 135 degrees F and then the fan kicks on. I am not sure if this is where it used to turn on before but it seems like that is a high temp.

My questions are whether that temp is too hot, is it bad to run the fan all the time on this computer (if not, how do I do that. I can't get speedfan to adjust my fan speed.), and does anyone have any ideas on why my fan seems to run much more now. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:40 PM

135 degrees Fahrenheit equals 57 degrees Celsius.

The max recommended operating temp for many CPUs is about 10 degrees higher, with the max being even higher for newer CPUs.

Fans are made to run to attempt to improve air flow/reduce temperature inside the case. A fan that's not running...is not a good sign in my world.

I haven't had my case covers on now for more than 5 years...my fans run constantly and I can see that, if not hear it. I don't have the myriad of system problems that many of our users seem to have...I like to think that the fans running properly have something to do with that.

I've never quite figured out why anyone would use Speedfan for anything other than possibly monitoring temperatures inside a closed case.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users