Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defender has an issue with SAS?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nia(:

Nia(:

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:27 PM

Whenever I downloaded SUPERAntiSpyware. . . Windows Defender pops up and alerts me and is like "This software has potentially unwanted behavior."
What am I supposed to do? I permitted it, but why is WD acting like that? [[PS: I got SAS right from the legit website, and I am sure it isn't rogue.]]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:19 PM

What Microsoft and the Defender program deem as worthy is usually completely at odds with the truth. It will stop almost every program and ask (even Microsoft's own).

SAS is a legitimate program and if it is called Superantispyware it is not going to be a rogue. Rogues tend to use their own names.
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,952 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:42 PM

How Windows Defender identifies spyware and potentially unwanted software

What are Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPS)?
Potentially Unwanted Programs: Spyware or Adware

Usually, when PUPs are flagged by an anti-virus or security scanner, it's because the program includes some features or additional files that can potentially be used for malicious purposes. These detections do not necessarily mean the file is malware or a bad program. It means it has the potential for being misused by others. Anti-virus scanners cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert you or even automatically remove them. In these cases the detection is a "False Positive".

Edited by quietman7, 24 February 2009 - 01:42 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users