Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Avira AntiVir Free heal files?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:22 PM

Every time I test Avira using the EICAR Test File, the option "Repair" is always grayed out. Can the free version repair files or do I need to buy the Premium version to get the heal feature? Can the free version AVG or Avast! heal files?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:45 PM

Hello.

I saw this page in the Avira Website: EICAR help page which may be helpful. :thumbsup:

European Institute for Computer Antivirus Research (EICAR)

Edited by Jay-P VIP, 20 February 2009 - 11:46 PM.

#3 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:42 PM

Well, I ususally encounter infected web pages and when Avira appears, the Repair option is still grayed out.

#4 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:30 PM

Avira is currently getting updated and I would recommend the beta version. It is available through May and then the actual products will get released.

You must sign up for the test program and they will have to approve you.

Also, a little extra is involved, the most active beta tester will receive a gift at the end of the testing.

#5 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:22 PM

I do not want using beta software. Sorry.

Anyways, can Avast! Free repair files?

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:08 PM

According to the manual it says,if the file is repairable the button will be available.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:00 PM

Maybe I am mistaken so correct me if I am wrong but.......even if the infection can't be healed it will be quarantined which for all intents and purposes achieves the same end....protection!
Agreed?,
t
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

#8 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:57 PM

• Avira's options should let you change this option:
  • Please double Click Avira Umbrella (or left corner pointer) and enter the Extras>Configuration or press F8
  • If expandable, please drop down WebGuard>Scan.
  • Please click Action on Detection.
  • In the Windows you might see two options: Automatic or Interactive. Please choose Automatic and the drop down should be set to Isolate.

#9 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:18 AM

Hi Jay,
Here is a screenshot of my Avira panel. Just one additional step to add. Check the expert mode box in the upper left hand corner.
Posted Image
But again...as per my post above...does it really matter? Doesn't quarantine and heal basically achieve the same goal...protection from infection!
Regards,
t
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

#10 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:53 PM

Yes they do. I am using the BETA for the newest version so my control panel is partially different.

Instead of looking at WebGuard like I said, do that to Scanner and Guard! I think you may achieve this if you were to choose Automatic, for it to Quarantine/Heal!

#11 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:46 PM

Were you able to get this problem solved?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users