Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thinking of upgrading xp to vista

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tylerisdabest_*

Guest_tylerisdabest_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:50 PM

Ok Iím really thinking hard on upgrading my system to vista premium. And I need to know a few things...

1. How much ram I need
I have 2 gigabytes of ram on my computer

2. How much hard drive space
I have a total of 225 gigabytes of room on my computer

3. Will I need a new video card?
I have an ati radion 200 itís a directX 9.0c card will I need a new model for directX 10 or 10.1?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:42 PM

RAM, you should have a minimum of 2GB. Though, more is better.
Hard drive space looks good.
The video card is fine. However, if you plan on running a game that supports DirectX10 you will need a DirectX10 capable graphics card to use the game in that mode. For general usage, a Radeon 2xxx will allow for Aero and all the operating systems eye candy.

As a side note, I do suggest a dual or quad core for Vista, even though it will run fine on a single core. A multi-core system will run better with the OS.

3939.png

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:32 AM

DJB is right, 2 gigs will run it ok, though more couldnt hurt, plenty of hard drive space, the video card will handle the OS ok but you will need a new one if you want directx 10 gaming capabilities. and if you want gaming you definitly need at the very minimum a dual core processor or better.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:27 PM

Actually, I wouldn't even bother upgrading to Vista. Microsoft is coming out with Windows 7 later this year and I've heard it's a big improvement over Vista. So, save your money and sit tight! :thumbsup:
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#5 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:17 AM

Actually, I wouldn't even bother upgrading to Vista. Microsoft is coming out with Windows 7 later this year and I've heard it's a big improvement over Vista. So, save your money and sit tight! :thumbsup:

Makes me Cry!! I got Vista Ultimate four months ago $320.00, Down the Drain, I'll never use Windows again, I'm learning Linux Open SuSe 11.0 & Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex!! Unite against DRM !!!!
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:10 PM

Makes me Cry!! I got Vista Ultimate four months ago $320.00, Down the Drain, I'll never use Windows again, I'm learning Linux Open SuSe 11.0 & Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex!! Unite against DRM !!!!

No thanks, I used Ubuntu for a year and being forced to use a CLI to install drivers at release and figure out WINE is just too much hassle. Just wait for Windows 7, it will be worth it. Besides, why would you pay $320 for the Retail edition of Ultimate when you can get the OEM version for $179? What DRM are you referring to? The stuff that the multimedia consortium's forced Microsoft to include or something else.

3939.png

#7 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:35 PM

Besides, why would you pay $320 for the Retail edition of Ultimate when you can get the OEM version for $179?

Agreed, the only difference I can think of between the two (besides price, obviously) is a pretty box, some documentation you end up throwing away anyway, and a couple of stickers.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#8 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:13 AM

Besides, why would you pay $320 for the Retail edition of Ultimate when you can get the OEM version for $179?

Agreed, the only difference I can think of between the two (besides price, obviously) is a pretty box, some documentation you end up throwing away anyway, and a couple of stickers.

MS enjoys stealing cash from you ^^
And, I suggest a Dual Core, and maybe a better GFX card.. But honestly, I'd wait 10 months and get a W7.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#9 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 03:41 AM

Try Linux Mint !
It's based on Ubuntu but better.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:53 PM

Do try Linux, it may work for you. But realize that it is not Windows and does not, in many ways, act the same way either. Do some research before diving in.
As for distros, I liked Kubuntu's interface but I just could not get into it. I like where its user interface, KDE 4, is going, it got so much better after some updates were released. I thought WINE was annoying so I constantly kept booting into Windows to run games.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users