Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ad about spyware on this site ? how come ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 maxxx126

maxxx126

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:18 PM

I am new to this website, I read about it in some magazine and read that is is a good website but I was really surprised to see an Ad for an alleged spyware program here.

How can the home page of bleepingcomputer have an ad for Cyberdefender which is known (or at least was known and is still suspected) to contain spyware when it is exactly what it is supposed to fight ? It doesn't seem really serious to me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:23 PM

Hi there!

I do not see what you are talking about. As there are no ads showing up for me on the home page. Where did you see the ad? (location of the home page, top-bottom-left-right, etc.)

#3 maxxx126

maxxx126
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:36 PM

The banner for www.Cyber-defender.com is displayed at the top of the home page but only if you are not logged in it seems. I can't see it either if I open a new tab from this firefox session but if I open the page with an IE not logged in it is displayed.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,305 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:47 PM

Ads are only displayed for those who are not registered. They are placed there by Google. Bleeping Computer does not control the content of ads placed by Google. If you are registered and log in, ads do not appear.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:53 PM

Animal,

You can control Google ads.

The admin needs to log in to the adsense account control panel and add unwanted ads' URLS to the filter such as the one that maxxx126 is talking about.

It's not low maintenance but BC's reputation could suffer if spyware URLs are being clicked by BC visitors.

Of course, the best thing to do is register. :thumbsup:
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#6 maxxx126

maxxx126
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:58 PM

I see but having an ad for Cyberdefender on this website is almost like a fireman starting a fire...

And I am sure Bleeping Computer COULD do something to avoid displaying that ad if they really wanted to even if it is controlled by Google.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,305 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:02 PM

You are correct m0le. I should have been more clear. We cannot control new ads being placed everyday. When we hear about 'suspect ads' we attempt to manage the situation. However there is no guarantee that it is immediately resolved to everyone's satisfaction. As we do not have control over Google's participation in the placement of ads.

So my suggestion is, if you have an issue with Google's ads, register and log in. Voila' No ads to be concerned with. :flowers: :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:06 PM

So my suggestion is, if you have an issue with Google's ads, register and log in. Voila' No ads to be concerned with. :flowers: :thumbsup:

Here endeth the lesson :trumpet:
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:15 PM

Thanks for pointing out that the ad was being shown. It has been added to the filters. Could take a day or so for it to kick in though.

#10 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:56 PM

Hey there friends!

Was Cyber Defender ever considered rogue? I knew there was small debates about it, like this one, but I haven't saw recent updates.

I know that hpHOSTS shows it in the database of Malware Distributors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users