Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse keeps skipping/freezing

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Meenuh

Meenuh

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:43 PM

I was infected with a virus not too long ago and got some help from another site to remove it. Recently, i've had one of those fake alert pop ups detected on my computer and removed it. Came back and I removed it again and I haven't seen it since then.

The things is, my mouse keeps randomly freezing and skipping and sometimes it just freezes completely and I have to restart my computer. Also, when my mouse freezes and then skips, there are a serious of beeps. The beeps that sound like you get an error message or something from windows except maybe like 4 beeps. Hard to explain. It's really irritating. I checked the mouse, cleaned it out and everything but it just keeps doing it. It's a regular mouse (the ones with the ball). I don't think it's the mouse though because it freezes and skips and then there's those beeps. Anyways, I hope someone here can help me with this problem. -_- It's really irritating.

I've scanned with MBAM and like I said earlier, twice it found a fake pop up and I removed it twice. Haven't seen it since then but after that my mouse has started skipping in freezing. Sometimes it even skipps when I use the wheel to scroll down the page so i'm assuming it's my computer. Btw, I am using Windows XP.

Edited by boopme, 24 February 2009 - 02:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Meenuh

Meenuh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:19 PM

Okie dokie~ So another thing that's been going on is that yesterday, while I was scanning with MBAM my computer just restarted on me. That got me thinking. Sometimes when I leave work I leave the computer on for my boss and he turns it off after he leaves but there are a couple times where I come into work and the computer is on with all the programs that start up when you first turn your computer on. So I asked my boss if he turned the computer off (no he did not restart by accident. He knows how to turn the computer off just in case that's what you're thinking lol) and he says yes. So this has happend a couple times but not every single time. MBAM isn't detecting anything and I have yet to do a full scan with NOD32.

EDIT: Just to take off a few possibilities...
Nobody else has access to this computer except me & my boss.
No one is able to get into this room without either of our keys.
So that takes off the possiblity of someone else turning the computer on or restarting it.

Edited by Meenuh, 24 February 2009 - 02:20 PM.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:28 PM

Hi, OK apparently not malware, I am goin to delete the extra posts and put this in the XP forum.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:35 PM

my computer just restarted on me

The symptoms you describe could be symptomatic of a variety of things to include hardware/software issues, overheating caused by a failed processor fan, bad memory (RAM), failing or underpowered power supply, CPU overheating, motherboard, video card, faulty or unsigned device drivers, CMOS battery going bad, BIOS and firmware problems, dirty hardware components, programs hanging or unresponsive in the background, and even malware. If the computer is overheating, it usually begins to shutdown/restart on a more regular basis. If you're not finding any malware then its sounds like one of the latter problems.

When Windows XP detects a problem from which it cannot recover, it displays Stop Error Messages which contain specific information that can help diagnose and resolve the problem detected by the Windows kernel. An error message can be related to a broad number of problems such as driver conflicts, hardware issues, read/write errors, and software malfunctions. In Windows XP, the default setting is for the computer to reboot automatically when a fatal error or crash occurs. You may not see the error code because the computer reboots too fast.

An easier alternative is to turn off the automatic reboot feature so you can actually see the error code/STOP Message when it happens - this is also known as the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD).

To change the recovery settings and Disable Automatic Rebooting, go to Start > Run and type: sysdm.cpl
Click Ok or just press WINKEY + Pause/Break keys to bring up System Properties.
  • Go to the Advanced tab and under "Startup and Recovery", click on the "Settings" button and go to "System failure".
  • Make sure "Write an event to the system log" is checked and that "Automatically restart" is unchecked.
  • Click "OK" and reboot for the changes to take effect.
Vista users can refer to these instructions: How To Disable the Automatic Restart on System Failure in Windows Vista.

Doing this won't cure your problem but instead of crashing and restarting you will get a blue diagnostic screen with an error code and other information to include file(s) that may be involved which will allow you to better trace your problem. Write down the full error code and the names of any files/drivers listed, then provide that information in your next reply so we can assist you with investigating the cause.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Meenuh

Meenuh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:20 PM

I've actually had this computer blue screen on me before when I got a virus recently. Also, I am not using Vista. I have Windows XP. Not sure if that makes a difference. The mouse has miraculously stopped freezing and skipping for the past 2 days so far...

Also, I went to what you told me to and it is already like that. Write an event to the system log was already checked and Automatically restart was already unchecked.

Personally, I think that something must still be in my computer for that last clean up...
These logs are from awhile after the clean up.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.33
Database version: 1735
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

2/6/2009 2:56:43 PM
mbam-log-2009-02-06 (14-56-43).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 70813
Time elapsed: 8 minute(s), 0 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 1
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\Mina\Application Data\Google\phtrc345015.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Unloaded process successfully.

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\Mina\Application Data\Google\phtrc345015.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.34
Database version: 1775
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

2/18/2009 10:20:42 AM
mbam-log-2009-02-18 (10-20-42).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 85794
Time elapsed: 9 minute(s), 15 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\Mina\Application Data\Google\mskmjk32.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Edited by Meenuh, 24 February 2009 - 03:24 PM.

#6 Meenuh

Meenuh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:38 PM

Still no reply? :thumbsup: I think I finally figured out those beeping noises! It's the sound it makes whenever you take something out of the usb slot where it says a new device has been detected etc. Whenever it freezes, I take out my mouse from the USB slot and stick it back in and it works perfectly. So I guess I wanna find out what is causing this so I can fix it...

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:44 PM

If you have a wireless mouse, low batteries can result in weak, mixed or no signals that can affect its functionality so start by replacing them. If that does not help, confirm that the mouse works on another machine. It is possible the mouse could be defective. Another thing to try is to use a different mouse or a PS2 adapter if its a USB mouse.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 Meenuh

Meenuh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:05 PM

The mouse is just a regular dell mouse. The one that comes with the computer. It never had problems before. It just started happening all of a sudden. I'll try it on another computer when I get the chance though.

#9 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:53 PM

Sounds to me like a bad RAM or not enough. What are your computer specs?
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:46 PM

I think I finally figured out those beeping noises! It's the sound it makes whenever you take something out of the usb slot where it says a new device has been detected etc. Whenever it freezes, I take out my mouse from the USB slot and stick it back in and it works perfectly. So I guess I wanna find out what is causing this so I can fix it...

Go into your Device Manager. Expand all of the +'s and look for yellow exclamation points, question marks, or red X's. Tell us what they are by. Also check your Event Viewer For anything suspicious.

I come into work and the computer is on with all the programs that start up when you first turn your computer on.

Check the BIOS to see if there are any "Wake - On" options enabled
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 Meenuh

Meenuh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:12 PM

The specs on my computer are

Processor Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz
Processor Speed 2.14 GHz
Memory (RAM) 2048 MB
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Operating System Version 5.1.2600

Opened up device manager and I don't see any exclamation points, question marks, or red x's.
Uhh I don't really know what i'm looking for in the event viewer but I do see a lot of warnings and errors from a source called Dhcp..

and i'm sorry but I don't know how to check the BIOs. I feel useless... :thumbsup:

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:20 PM

How to get into your computer's BIOS - http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/reinstall-...enter-BIOS.html

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#13 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:21 PM

Well, we can rule out both the Device manager and RAM. I think either your mouse is faulty, or DHCP has something to with it, but I believe DHCP is the internet gateway mask.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#14 Meenuh

Meenuh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:43 AM

Well, we can rule out both the Device manager and RAM. I think either your mouse is faulty, or DHCP has something to with it, but I believe DHCP is the internet gateway mask.

Well, I switched my mouse and it seems to be working well. It hasn't been skipping or freezing yet. But, I did get a pop up from Norton saying I have a trojan and VirusRemover 2008 which is the same one that I got help with removing last time... NOD32 and MBAM didn't detect it even though I scanned almost every morning. -_- Whenever I try to turn off my computer before leaving for work ... it restarts instead of shutting down. It takes a couple times for it to shut down. :thumbsup:

#15 Meenuh

Meenuh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:48 PM

Okay well, I am scanning with Avast and I was right .. I am indeed still infected. It's finding a number of viruses that neither NOD32 nor MBAM picked up on. :thumbsup: Now i'm going to be all paranoid about my bank stuff ..... Okay well thanks anyways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users