Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Boot upProblem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 craigr1963

craigr1963

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 03 June 2005 - 10:42 AM

I'm having a boot up problem with my computer that just started recently. When I shut down for the night and then boot up in the morning, the computer will usually shut down and restart and then goes to the screen asking if you want to boot to "safe mode" and other choices, one being "boot with last known configuration." If I boot it with the last known configuration, no problem, 9 out of 10 times it will boot. Also, if I do a shut down with re-boot, no problem either, boots right back up. I've used the manufactures hard drive tester and no problems with hard drive, I've used memtest86 and no problems with the memory. I've even reformatted the drive and re-installed windows and also changed the motherboard battery and even reset video card and memory, none of which helped. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions as to what is going on?

Also, I'm running AMD Athlon xp 1900 on an ECS K7SEM Motherboard with 1.00 GB RAM.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Edited by craigr1963, 03 June 2005 - 10:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 03 June 2005 - 11:12 AM

First thing to eliminate... you didn't say specifically whether you've allowed it to boot into Safe Mode, then shut down, then restart? If not, please do so and confirm. Might want to go ahead and do a scandisk while you're at it.

#3 craigr1963

craigr1963
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:37 PM

Well, if I try to boot in safe mode, it gets to a certain point and stops and does nothing. So then I push reset and when it gets to the same screen I boot with the last know configuration and it boots just fine. Also one thing I found today is, if I shut down the computer, and then turn it right back on, no problem, boots just fine. But if I let it sit for several minutes, then I have the problem again. Also, I have done the scandisk with no problems, and also ran my norton virus also.

#4 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2005 - 09:38 AM

Wow, very puzzling to me. Almost sounds like it has to be something hardware or BIOS related.

You said that you had both REFORMATTED the drive and RE-INSTALLED windows... absolutely positive about this or could you have maybe simply done the 'over-install' that windows provides which leaves your applications intact, etc. (I don't favor that quickie overinstall type; if you indeed did the harddisk reformatting and complete re-installation from scratch then disregard.)

I mention BIOS but this can be a bit cranky. You should go to your motherboard's manufacturer site and see what they can provide by way of confirming what specific version you have now and whether there are any BIOS flash upgrades.

The next thing I would do is this. Strip down your computer to just the bare essentials and try starting it up. Leave the memory in and the video card unless the mobo has a VGA port onboard and then remove the vid card and use that for testing. Anything else? sound card, USB/Firewire peripheral card, modem, network card etc... Remove those for testing. Try and see if you can find a slim down point where the computer will boot up, shut down and restart without incident. The possibility can be that one of the components is bad -or- that your system's power supply is insufficient. Take a look at the power supply, what's it's watts rating... 250W, 350W, more? Athlon systems tend to use a bit more power (and make more noise) than their Intel counter-parts so if you took an old case with p/s and put an Athlon board in this could certainly be an issue.

#5 craigr1963

craigr1963
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2005 - 01:33 PM

Yes, it's pretty puzzling to me also, and it even gets more puzzling (to me at least). For sure I re-installed the windows. And now that you mention power supplies, in the last two weeks I've gone through 2 power supplies. The first one was the original with this configuration, about 3 years now, the one I put in was a used one, both 300 watts, I purchased a new one, 450 watts, which when I turn on runs for about a half a second and then stops, so now I'm using another used one, 450 watts.

But here is where it gets interesting. As I said before, this whole configuration have had for 3 years with no problems. Upgraded the bios at that same time. What I did yesterday is, I went into bios, and to the "Frequency/Voltage Contol" and then to the "CPU Host/SDRAM/PCI Clock" setting and changed it from "133/133/33 MHZ" to "100/133/33 MHZ" and the computer boots great and has no obvious problems. The only thing is when I boot the computer and on the boot up screen, instead of saying "AMD ATHLON XP 1900+" it says "AMD ATHLON 1.200 GHZ".

Thanks for your help and I'll give a try what you suggested.

Craig

#6 craigr1963

craigr1963
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2005 - 01:34 PM

Also, my CPU temperature is running about 53 - 54 C after I've been using it for a bit.

#7 madestmax

madestmax

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2005 - 01:02 AM

When was the last time you updated? Never registered my copy of XP Pro and when updated office 2003 or ie had the same problem. If you don't register they think it's illeagle. Say they do nothing to you'r computer. But then again I belive in the toothfairy also. Also my goverment doesn't lie to me either.

#8 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2005 - 10:54 AM

But here is where it gets interesting. As I said before, this whole configuration have had for 3 years with no problems. Upgraded the bios at that same time. What I did yesterday is, I went into bios, and to the "Frequency/Voltage Contol" and then to the "CPU Host/SDRAM/PCI Clock" setting and changed it from "133/133/33 MHZ" to "100/133/33 MHZ" and the computer boots great and has no obvious problems. The only thing is when I boot the computer and on the boot up screen, instead of saying "AMD ATHLON XP 1900+" it says "AMD ATHLON 1.200 GHZ".

Whoa, you just gave me a flashback. Years and years ago I put together an Athlon system (my first) out of some old and new components. It was a ECS mobo as a matter of fact. The Athlon processor was listed as a 1200 (1.2 GHz) but I never did succeed in getting it to run reliably at 133 bus speed so I settled at 100 MHz bus which only yielded a rating from the processor of 900 MHz. Spooky.

Bottom line for me, I have just lived with it at less than advertised top speed to this day and it has worked fine.

#9 craigr1963

craigr1963
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2005 - 11:25 AM

No kidding? It's weird, but what's really weird is it's worked fine for 3 years. But like you said, I'm just gonna live with it, and actually I've just ordered an ASUS with a AMD Sempron, so I'm gonna probably end up using this as a second computer.

Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users