Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

error message 1706 Problem with Windows Installer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Hells Fairy

Hells Fairy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 03 June 2005 - 10:34 AM

I'm running Windows 2000 Professional

I wonder if anyone can help me before I deposit my computer in the loch :thumbsup:

After downloading updates for Spyware Doctor I ran a complete scan of my PC. I asked it to fix all of the problems it had found. It 'told' me that I wold need to restart my computer. This I duly did, but as the computer was shutting down a Windows Installer box appeared briefly. On restarting, the box appeared again. Apparently it was trying to install HP Brio Management Agent WMI. However I then got the message: -

'The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable'

'Click OK to try again or enter an alternative folder containing the installation package 'HP Brio Management Agent WMI.msi' in the box below'

In the, Use source, box below was C:/Documents and Settings\Default User\_is44F\

After clicking OK to try again I got the message: -

'Error 1706 No valid source could be found for product HP Brio Management Agent WMI. The Windows Installer cannot continue'

Everytime I start up, or connect to the internet, or open another page I get the Installer thing all over again! It will eventually 'cancel' but is very persistent - I would really appreciate some feedback :flowers:

Thanking you in anticipation.

Hell's Fairy

Edited by Hells Fairy, 03 June 2005 - 11:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hells Fairy

Hells Fairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2005 - 01:42 PM

It's OK everyone - computer is not laying at the bottom of the loch, but working sweetly :thumbsup:

I downloaded a Windows Installer Cleanup Utility from

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;290301

and this seems to have done the trick - just thought I'd post this in case anyone else might have/be having a similar problem.

Thanks for letting me get it out of my system anyway!!

Love, Hells fairy

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2005 - 03:24 PM

Seems you beat everyone to the solution to your problem, so pat yourself on the back. We really appreciate your thoughtfullness in posting the resolution in case other members have a simular problem.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users