Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hi, I'm new to this site need help with strange computer behavior

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gooberzmom

gooberzmom

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:38 AM

[topic="plaid screen"]plaid screen/stripes and auto shut down[/topic] At start up when sitting in 55 degree temp I get plaids that look like red, green , blue rubic cubes--or blue and black stripes or salt and pepper stripes with tiny blue squares--I' ve ran Smitfraudfix in both normal and safe modes and it seems to solve the problem for 2-3 days then it returns. When first started up it goes to screen stating sorry error occured in start up and to go to last working configuration, I do and it works well for the day until I turn it off for the nightI checked with Answers.com and it said XEROX PARCS caused plaid screen sometimes deliberately at memory smashes. Is this a solvable problem or-- Is my old laptop just gradually dying? Is it the video or MOBO? Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?? I'm so confused!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:57 PM

When I moved this topic I scanned over it quickly and did not see you used Smitfraudfix . What makes you believe that you're infected?
Have you tried to reinstall your video driver?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:15 PM

It sounds like what you are expierencing is bad video artifacting.

I suggest testing the system memory to see if it is defective.

You can use memtest86 to test the memory.

http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.5.iso.zip

Unzip the file to get the ISO image.
Use a burning program [like Nero] that has the Burn image to disk feature
Burn a disk
Reboot with the disk in the drive

If memtest86 finds any errors with the memory you should replace the memory.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:08 PM

From a PM

I told you I ran SFF in both safe and reg. modes helped for a day or two, so did AVG scan of the whole computer, that said the serious error had been correct and my computer had recovered from a serious infection--then it started all over again-- I do not know how to reinstall my
video driver as you suggeated. Can you walk me through it or is that too much to ask--I cannot afford to puchase new software so I'm hoping there's a free download to do this--Am I being too optimistic.

I really had this cured and turned PC on and off 5-6 times without problem then shut it down for the night, when turned on around 11AM same deal== plaids and stripes, was able to get a video of it but it's too large to send anyone.

What is the make and model of your computer?

Edited by garmanma, 21 February 2009 - 09:09 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:29 PM

If you have a version of Windows, such as XP, installed before you run Smitfraudfix or do a virus scan you need to turn off system restore !

Go to the Control Panel & double click the System icon
When the System Properties opens click on the System Restore tab
Click the little box next to Turn off System Restore to put a checkmark in it
Click Apply
When the prompt appears click Yes
Click OK to exit the System Properties
Restart the computer in Safe Mode
Do your SFF & AV scans
When all are done restart the computer normally.
Go back to the System Properties
Remove the checkmark from Turn off System Restore
Click Apply
Restart System restore
Exit the System Properties
Restart the computer.

Some nasties hide in System Restore & manage to find their way back in to Windows .
Turning off System Restore & restarting the computer to clear all the old restore points before scanning insures that won't happen.

On the Video driver, You need to go to the manufacturers web site & download the correct video driver for your unit & then install it.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users