Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless D-Link wireless internet connection now goes through Gateway

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sammyj

sammyj

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:26 AM

Hi there,

I've got an old but reliable Asus PC with XP Pro SP2. I'm using Madasafish ISP who provided me with a D-Link wireless router and USB dongle. All was well until I disconnected it by accident, and when I tried to reconfigure it, it's somehow connecting through a gateway of some kind!

Also, every now and then it just disconnects. Sometimes it finds itself again but more often than not I have to reboot to get it to re-connect.

I know a bit about this, but I'm loathe to take it all down and start again.

I would really appreciate some help - it's really annoying!

SammyJ

Edited by sammyj, 20 February 2009 - 10:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:46 PM

Where does it say it goes via Gateway? I assume your wireless signal is strong, so no problem there? Why did you not upgrade to SP3?
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

#3 sammyj

sammyj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:02 AM

There's two icons in the system tray: One is my wireless and the other is an icon of 2 computers connected, and when I hover over it the bubble says "internet connection, 7.6 Mbps" or whatever speed. So I double clicked on it, and it brings up a Gateway configuration. Unless that's my router - but I doubt it, it was never there before...!

Wireless signal is excellent, no problems there - about 54 meg.

As for SP3 - I don't know, to be honest!

#4 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:41 AM

is your pc wired to the router,or is wifi the only method you use to connect? why dont you just try to disconnect the icon of a computer you dont like

#5 sammyj

sammyj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:32 AM

No, I only connect Wifi. I think - if I'm right - that my PC connects to the Gateway, the gateway then forwards it on to the router. What I wanna know is where this gateway came from?

Something I did when I repaired the connection has put this gateway in but I'm buggered if I know what, or how - and more to the point how do I get rid of it?

It keeps dropping the connection too, which is really annoying, particularly as I remote in using GoToMyPC every now and then....

S

#6 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:15 AM

Every connection should have gateway, I do have one as well, but it should not show the way it does on your PC. I believe you have two services running at the same time (windows service, and the services from your provider). Try to disconnect one with the right click and see if the other one keeps the connection on.

Please check the status of your Windows Zero Configuration too. Go to Start/Run and type services.msc then scroll down the WZC service and tell me what you see there? Try to stop it, and go on with internet, and test if the connection will drop or will stay connected.

#7 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:17 AM

Other thing you could do is, go to Start/Run and type msconfig, then go to the start up tab and look if anything suspicious is starting. Then go to the services tab, and look what services are running, other than those of Microsoft.

#8 sammyj

sammyj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:19 PM

What's Windows Zero Config?

I didn't stop Zero Config because I'm not sure what I'll be stopping, but I did disconnect the gateway and it all fell over.

Then I logged into the router (192.168.1.1) and rebooted it. It came back online (minus the Gateway) then mysteriously after 5 mins or so, the gateway popped up as if by magic and elbowed its way in between the connection!!!

I can't delete it because that option's greyed out in the network connections, and I can't see anything suspicious in msconfig. Do you want me to list the stuff that's in there?

It also keeps disconnecting every now and again - I've said that already earlier in the thread, sorry!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users