Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic Update Installation Problem...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 J_Wright77

J_Wright77

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:06 AM

It's like the movie "Groundhog Day"...only worse!!

My windows automatic updates are set to download every morning at 4:00am. However, every time I come to my computer, the automatic update shield is present on my startup menu, telling me, "Updates are ready for your computer. Click here to install these updates."

When I express install the update (as recommended), it reads that it is, "Installing Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954430) (Update 1 of 1)...." It closes automatically after the update is "installed".

My problem is, the automatic updates shield will reappear just 10-15 seconds later, telling me that I have updates to install again. When I express install this new update, it is the EXACT same update I just installed. This process will repeat itself over and over and over. In fact, this same update has been hounding me non-stop for about five days now. Does anyone know what I have to do to end this vicious cycle?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wingman

Wingman

• Malware Response Team
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:38 AM

Take a look at the MS article ... How to troubleshoot Windows Update or Microsoft Update when you are repeatedly offered an update

Another option would be to make sure the update was installed... then go to Windows/Microsoft Update... see the offending repeating update and set it to be hidden.

Yet another option would be to again make sure the update was indeed installed. Then go to Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs and remove the update...
Then go to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads and key in the KB value (KB954430) in the search box next to the All download box.
That will take you to the page you'll see the download link for your update, click on that to go to the ACTUAL DOWNLOAD SITE for the update. From there download the update don't run it save it MANUALLY to a folder or desktop for later install.
Close down all programs and manually run the application. If asked to do normal install or custom pick custom and select global instead if side by side and then next. If any programs interfere with install select ignore. and finish it on out. You will see that it is a much better install than what the windows update manager does.

Don't forget to reboot to make sure all files get updated.
Admin/Teacher at Malware Removal University You too could train to help others.
Member of UNITE
I seek not to know all the answers...but to understand the questions - Kwai Chang Caine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users