Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Only seeing one drive.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 caveanimal

caveanimal

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:49 AM

Hi all can someone help me please I reinstalled windows xp and I partitioned my drive now after installing everything it does not show the partitioned drive what did I do wrong and is there some way to fix this? It shows up in disk management but it has no drive letter. P. s. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:15 AM

Can't you enter a letter by opening the right-click menu of the partition first?

Edited by karbo1, 20 February 2009 - 10:16 AM.

Please post back if we found the solution

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:28 AM

FWIW: The only instances where I know that a partition (not unallocated space) will appear in Disk Management but not in My Computer/Explorer:

a. The partition somehow reflects the same drive letter already in use by another partition.

b. XP cannot read the partition because it is neither NTFS or FAT...or the hard drive has problems.

I suppose that a 3d instance would be if the partition is set up as a hidden partition, but I don't really know (I've never created a hidden partition).

Google list on hidden partitions, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=w...mp;aq=f&oq=

Louis

#4 caveanimal

caveanimal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:40 PM

Ok dont know if this will help. but when viewed in disk management the my drive c has a volume of about 120gb and says gb ntfs healthy system and there is another (green colour) box next to it that has about the same volume and it says free space. cant rename this or anything else.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:09 PM

If it says "free space", it's a part of the C: partition.

Free space on a partition does not show up in the lower portion of Disk Management on my system, it's merely reflected as a stat in the upper portion of the screen.

If it says "unallocated space", it's disk space which has not been used to create any partition.

What steps did you take to do this reinstall of XP? Did you use an MS XP CD? Did you use recovery/restore disks?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#6 caveanimal

caveanimal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:16 PM

did a full reinstall and partition, the system was built by me. is there anything I can do about his? it just says freespace

Edited by caveanimal, 20 February 2009 - 02:17 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:30 PM

If you have a MS XP CD...you can run the chkdsk /r command on the C: partition. One of the things which will get accomplished will be a check of disk space assigned to the C: partition.

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users