Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstall of MCE is wrong version

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 slobbadobba

slobbadobba

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:19 AM

Hi guys, I formatted my Harddrive instead of doing a Restore using my Recovery disks 'cos I had a Trojan i could not get rid of. Was told a Recovery was the best way to sort it out. Took it to a shop who installed the wrong version of Windows Media Centre Edition. 2004 instead of 2005. Some of my hardware wont work now and I cant load drivers for them because of the wrong OS. I contacted a friend who is sending me the correct disk version of my OS so my updates and drivers will work. Will I have to do FULL Reinstall again, or can I UPGRADE to the 2005 version without uninstalling this version of MCE? A real pain having to install all the software again and configuring my Internet settings. Appreciate any help or advice you can give me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:01 AM

<<Took it to a shop who installed the wrong version of Windows Media Centre Edition. 2004 instead of 2005.>>

Ed Bott touches on the subject of upgrading from Media Center 2004 (which is really MC 2002 with XP SP2) to MC 2005, http://www.edbott.com/mediacenter/archives...comment-page-1/

Personally, I would have taken it back to the persons who made the error...I don't understand how a license for a later version could be used to install an earlier version which is, by definition, not upgradeable to the version the license applies to.

But I'll just add this to the list of Many Things I Don't Understand :thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 slobbadobba

slobbadobba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:40 AM

I contacted the shop about the problem. They told me that ALL MCE are basicly the same, I'd just have to go on the Microsoft download or HP sites and get the drivers. Did that but still no good. Dont know how my OEM licence version worked with 2004 either. Checked with Windows Official XP Official Forum and one of the moderators said that the licence will work on earlier versions 'cos it installs the XP PRO version of MCE. Dont quite know how this works, not pc literate enough to understand. Anyway, I now have the FULL MCE disk which I obtained from a reliable source, Ill have to use the OEM licence that ison my sticker he said and then I should get the original version installed when I bought the pc. Thanks for the link. Ill have a look in a minute, just wanted to pass on my thanks. Just had a look and Im glad I did. I was told I MIGHT be able to just UPGRADE from 2004 to 2005 but I cant. FULL Reinstall needed so thats what I will do now and hope all is well after it. Only one way to fnd out!! Here goes.

Edited by slobbadobba, 21 February 2009 - 06:44 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:03 AM

Let us know how it goes.

Louis

#5 slobbadobba

slobbadobba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:48 PM

Be about 3 weeks this Monday 23.02.09 before I get my pc back. Should have it back to how it was originally then. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your help. :thumbsup: Lets hope its not a :flowers: LOL!! Regards Slobbadobba Just thought I'd try and see if I can solve some problems with some HELP FORUMS. Tried to install .Net Framework 1.1. Wont install, freezes and thats it. Some of my software tells me I need this installed before I can use it, like my DVD Burning Software, Ashampoo Movie Shrink and Burn Pro. Its a full paid for version and not a trial, so I dont know where to go now. Something I noticed, ALL my H/D's have changed lettering. My C:\ has now become K:\ and so on. Havent a clue how this happened, is it simple enough to change them back to their original state? I may not get an answer today, and tomorrow my pc goes back to the store. The disk my friend sent wont work, and it only has 59Mb of files on it. Before I could run it it says I need to install the .Net Framework 1.1 and 1.1 SP1 to install the MCE 2005 disk. Im not sure where to go to solve this problem now. Also, a message says I need to install the CODECS so my Media Player and other programs work. Ashampoo sent me to a webpage for support but theres loads of them to choose from and I'm not sure which Codecs to use on my system. My pc is a right balls up and Im hoping the store sorts it out properly this time. Get back to you all when im back on the net 3 weeks time. Im in a queue for my pc to be fixed, hence the 3 week wait.

Edited by slobbadobba, 22 February 2009 - 06:01 AM.

#6 slobbadobba

slobbadobba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:47 AM

Hi, my pc back in record time, only took a week. All is working ok now since the fresh reinstall of MCE 2005. The problem was, I didnt have the correct drivers so most of the hardware and some software wouldnt work properly or even download. Thanks for your help, and, your concern Louise. Hows the weather in the good old USA? Talk to you guys again sometime. LEE

Edited by slobbadobba, 03 March 2009 - 09:48 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:58 PM

Feedback appreciated, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

Windy, too windy here in central TX today...but it's March :flowers:.

Edited by hamluis, 03 March 2009 - 12:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users