Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Regarding ipconfig text window

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 KermitD

KermitD

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 03 June 2005 - 10:13 AM

I am trying to hook up a friend's home network. Presently his network is a desktop and a laptop cabled to a hub, which connects to his broadband. He wants to change the laptop to wirelessly connect to his network. He purchased a Linksys router and wireless laptop card. The new Linksys setup is so automatic that it's practically invisible. The desktop, cabled directly to the router, connected seamlessly. The Laptop, when cabled to the router seemed to set up easily, also. When the cabled network adapter is disabled the wireless adapter won't connect to the Internet. I have a similar setup at my house, but it is with older gear which asked me to enter every setting. Here is my problem... When I try to run 'ipconfig' on either computer, I get the DOS-looking window for about a half second, then it closes itself. It has text on it, but I can't read it. Has anyone experienced this? Is there something I need to fix? Is there some kind of switch I can set to hold it on the screen? I would really like to know what IPs have been assigned to each component, especially since the network is a not-work.
KermitD
KermitD
Choices have consequences.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 03 June 2005 - 11:17 AM

I think I have seen that if I type IPCONFIG (or similar DOS-type commands) in on the Start > Run line directly.

What you want to do of course is run the DOS box first... Start > Run "CMD" (for Command); brings up good old fashioned DOS screen. Then on the DOS prompt type "IPCONFIG" (sans quotes each time). To eventually leave the DOS box click on the X to close it or type "EXIT" at a DOS prompt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users