Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rogue\Suspect Anti-Spyware List Update

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TeMerc

TeMerc

Countermeasures Team Leader

• Malware Response Team
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 03 June 2005 - 09:58 AM

Most recent additions: AntiVirus Gold (6-2-05), GarbageClean (6-2-05), Adware-Nuker (6-1-05), Spy-Block (6-1-05), SpySheriff (6-1-05), SpywareNo! (5-21-05), WinAntivirus 2005 (5-21-05), SmartSecurity (5-8-05), ZoneProtect AntiSpyware (5-8-05), AdwareAlert (5-8-05), PC Health Plan (5-6-05), SpyToaster (5-6-05), Doctor Alex (4-23-05), Spyware Remover (4-7-05), Spyware Immobilizer (4-7-05), Elimiware (4-7-05).

Total applications listed: 197

Rogue\Suspect Anti-Spyware List

Trustworthy Anti-Spyware Products

Anti-Spyware Features & Comparisons

Anti-Spyware Tests
Posted Image
Calendar of Updates
Malware Advisor Blog
HijackThis! Trusted Advisor
Ultimate Countermeasures Page
TeMerc Internet Countermeasures
Remember, you can NEVER be OVERPROTECTED!!!
Proud Member of the Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr. X

Mr. X

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 07 June 2005 - 05:23 PM

It is interesting to find a certain former employer of mine (creator of SpyKiller) listed in the rogue index. Actually it's not that suprising since I know for a fact he utilized deceptive advertising and preyed on unscrupulous consumers way back when I did work for him. This is before SpyKiller - he only had HistoryKill back then and it was my job to try to hold back the deluge of angry customers and problems resulting from poor programming skills. I suppose he still hasn't learned from his past but at the same time he was raking in some pretty good cash from doing a half-ass job anyway.......so I guess he's still practicing the same philosophy of taking the money and giving just enough support to hold off the credit card chargebacks. I just hope someone brings him down because I see he's in the process of unleashing a plethora of similar scamware, and it kind of irks me knowing that he's kicking back counting the cash from producing such a poor product. </RANT>

Edited by Mr. X, 07 June 2005 - 05:25 PM.

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the &quot;Logic Free Zone&quot;, in Md, USA
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 07 June 2005 - 07:02 PM

Nice </Rant>!

Thanks for sharing some history with us all "Mr. X"!!

BTW: Welcome to Bleeping Computer!

regards,
Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#4 TeMerc

TeMerc

Countermeasures Team Leader

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 14 June 2005 - 09:02 PM

Got this rather disturbing post from Eric Howes at this DSLR thread:

Hi All:

Thought I'd drop a note in this thread that AdwareDelete has been added to teh Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware page along with three other apps, taking us to 204 listed anti-spyware programs:

»www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyw..

Also added were SpyDemolisher (a SpywareNo clone), PSGuard (which has been racking up compplaints of aggressive advertising and stealth installs similar to SpywareNo), and SpyPry (which appears to be the latest variant in the Spyblocs/PrivacyDefender family of apps).

Of greatest concern to me at this point is the growing number of anti-spyware applications associated with CWS-related domains or that have a track-record of hijacking users' desktops with ominous warnings about spyware and malware on their computers. To date the list includes:

* SpywareNo! (spywareno.com)
* SpySheriff (spysheriff.com) - same app as SpywareNo
* SpyDemolisher (spydemolisher.com) - same app as SpywareNo
* PSGuard (psguard.com)
* AdwareDelete (adwaredelete.com)
* RazeSpyware (razespyware.net/spywaredollars.com)
* AntiVirus Gold (antivirus-gold.com)
* WareOut (wareout.com)
* Security iGuard (securityiguard.com)
* SlimShield (slimshield.com)
* SmartSecurity (smart-security.info)

The majority of the above apps were added to the Rogue/Suspect list just in the past few months, and the appearance of such applications has seemingly accelerated in recent weeks.

This is a most worrisome trend.

Eric L. Howes

Posted Image
Calendar of Updates
Malware Advisor Blog
HijackThis! Trusted Advisor
Ultimate Countermeasures Page
TeMerc Internet Countermeasures
Remember, you can NEVER be OVERPROTECTED!!!
Proud Member of the Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals
Posted Image

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:51 PM

Looks like the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware is coming out just as fast as the spyware. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:02 AM

Of greatest concern to me at this point is the growing number of anti-spyware applications associated with CWS-related domains or that have a track-record of hijacking users' desktops with ominous warnings about spyware and malware on their computers.

So is this saying that these apps also install CWS?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users