Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista AppData


  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

  • Members
  • 867 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Carlona
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:32 PM

I'm trying to free up some hard drive space and I noticed that my Appdata folder is about 4GB which is a little too big for my liking. Is it possible to slim down this folder or delete it entirely without causing any system errors?
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

  • Guests
  • OFFLINE
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:02 AM

Hi there!

All of the applications aka programs that you have store their settings there. By default, Windows Vista automatically sets that folder to hidden. :huh:

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 867 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Carlona

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:11 PM

So, what would occur if I were to delete the folder?
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

  • Guests
  • OFFLINE
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:35 PM

My friend, you would lose all settings for all applications, which can make an application run slower or not run at all. Some applications can restore their own settings and get an update from the Internet.

Check out this tested graphing of the AppData folder. These are mere estimations by HMOS.

Usually AppData folder ranges from 100 MB to 20 GB.

The Local folder contains 60% of the data.

75% of the data in the local folder is used for games and design applications. The remaining 25% is for office applications, web browsers, and Microsoft apps.

The roaming foler contains 25% of your AppData.

75% of the data in the roaming folder is used for security applications such as Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware.






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users