Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual Memory Low Warning

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jfriedlund

jfriedlund

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 03 June 2005 - 08:37 AM

I keep getting a notice that my virtual memory is low. How can I increase the virtual memory or do I even have to worry about this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 03 June 2005 - 10:12 AM

Assuming you're using Windows XP:

Click Start / Control Panel / Performance and Maintenance / System / Advanced tab
Under Performance click the Settings button.
Click the Advanced tab.
Under Virtual Memory, click the Change button.
Under Paging file size for selected drive,put a tick next to Custom size:.

The minimum should be 1.5 times your memory size. The maximum should be three times your memory. If you continue to have problems, raise the maximum. Keep raising it until you no longer get the message.
Then click the Set button.

Or, the best solution, you could increase the amount of RAM your system has, by buying more, since the hard drive is much slower than RAM.
That's how I solved my, low virtual memory, problem.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jfriedlund

jfriedlund
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2005 - 10:36 AM

Thanks! I'll do that!

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2005 - 11:40 AM

Your welcome.
Let us know how it works out.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 chicha1997

chicha1997

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2005 - 09:11 PM

Assuming you're using Windows XP:

Click Start / Control Panel / Performance and Maintenance / System / Advanced tab
Click the Advanced tab.

The minimum should be 1.5 times your memory size. The maximum should be three times your memory. If you continue to have problems, raise the maximum. Keep raising it until you no longer get the message.

Or, the best solution, you could increase the amount of RAM your system has, by buying more, since the hard drive is much slower than RAM.
That's how I solved my, low virtual memory, problem.

Can you apply the same procedure in win 2k? thanks JL

#6 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2005 - 05:24 PM

Close.

1. Right click on your My Computer Icon
2. Click properties
3. Click on the Advanced Tab
4. Click Performance options
5. A new Window should pop up, under Virtual Memory click Change

Everything else is the same.

#7 dcanoli

dcanoli

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:37 AM

I keep getting this message to. Does anybody out there know the answer to this question? :thumbsup:

#8 dcanoli

dcanoli

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:42 AM

Nevermind! I didn't scroll down far enough! Sorry!

#9 sherrymyra

sherrymyra

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 16 June 2005 - 01:16 PM

I'm having this same problem. I went through all of these steps without making any changes so far.

[QUOClick Start / Control Panel / Performance and Maintenance / System / Advanced tab
Click the Advanced tab.

TE]

When you say "raise the maximum". How much should I raise it at a time. Right now my settings are Initial size 288 (mb) and the Maximum Size is 576 (mb). Also how do I know how much memory I have. Is this different than space on my hardrive, because I am only using about 1/3 of my hardrive now. Also, When the bubble comes up notifying me of this, it does say that my virtual memory is being raised.

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 01:56 PM

The memory being refered to is RAM.

Right click the My Computer icon.
Select Properties.
Under the General tab, it will show you how much RAM you have installed.
The best solution, would be to increase the amount of RAM your system has, by buying more, since reading the Virtual Memory, from the hard drive, is much slower than RAM.

Definitions:
virtual memory
RAM

#11 sherrymyra

sherrymyra

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:05 PM

Thanks. I don't know much about computers. I will have someone help me with putting this in my computer. In the meantime will it be ok to let my computer adjust it as it has been?

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:42 PM

Yes - just increase the size of the virtual memory file until you stop getting the warnings and until you can get more RAM, at which point you should increase it anyway using the rule of thumb formula.

The only thing is that the virtual memory will be slower than increasing the RAM and harder on your harddrive as you will use it constantly for things RAM should be handling.

#13 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:47 AM

The wise techies will tell you (quite correctly) that you shouldn't 'cap' the max size of the paging file. It should be set to the maximum free space that is available on that disk.

#14 WhyamIhereImaznifeelleftout

WhyamIhereImaznifeelleftout

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 03:52 AM

Well I'm having the same problem but mine seems more worse. You see all my programs shut down, my chatting programs, my virus-protection, basically everything. My RAM is 512, I have plenty of GB left, I mean incredibly plenty. I followed everything you guys seemed to post up above and I've tried from high to even low. Could you guys give me anymore help here? All my programs shut down, my internet seize to work, my pc lags all of a sudden, I can't open any programs , when I try refreshing it gives me :trashbin, IE, and outlook. IT's very strange and I'm a crazy nerd -_- that cannot live without his computer. :thumbsup: so If anybody knows a specific amount of numbers to put in so it'll work out or if some other way can fix this trouble please do so help me. Btw, it also doesn't pop up a small sign on the bottom saying the virtual memory is low it keeps popping up as a ? file and says it's creating more RAM or room for my pc and it wont open anything. Thanks in advance.

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:38 PM

Well I'm having the same problem but mine seems more worse. You see all my programs shut down, my chatting programs, my virus-protection, basically everything. My RAM is 512, I have plenty of GB left, I mean incredibly plenty. I followed everything you guys seemed to post up above and I've tried from high to even low. Could you guys give me anymore help here? All my programs shut down, my internet seize to work, my pc lags all of a sudden, I can't open any programs , when I try refreshing it gives me :trashbin, IE, and outlook. IT's very strange and I'm a crazy nerd -_- that cannot live without his computer. :thumbsup: so If anybody knows a specific amount of numbers to put in so it'll work out or if some other way can fix this trouble please do so help me. Btw, it also doesn't pop up a small sign on the bottom saying the virtual memory is low it keeps popping up as a ? file and says it's creating more RAM or room for my pc and it wont open anything. Thanks in advance.

RAM or virtual memory is probably not your problem.

It is more than likely adware, spyware or a virus.

What anti-malware programs are you using?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users