Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Highlighting a file in Vista

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gusgus910

gusgus910

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:02 PM

I'm fairly new to posting on Bleeping Computer. Yesterday I posted the following question, but didn't get any answers. Am I posting in the right manner? I'll try this again. Thank you.

When in Windows Explorer, when I highlight a file, the highlight is so faint I can hardly see it. Is there a way I can darken the highlight so I can see it better? Thank you.
gusgus910

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:13 PM

Sometimes even the simplest questions aren't easily answerable. This is one of them.

I would suggest trying the items in this location:
Right click on an empty spot on the Desktop and select "Personalize"
Select the Window Color and Appearance link
Click on the Advanced button
In the dropdown box labeled Item, scroll down to Selected Items and select that.
Then change the options there to see what you can get out of it.

Good luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:20 PM

Hi there gusgus910! :huh:

Please Right Click on your desktop and click Personalize. When this appears, please click Window Color and Appearance. After that, please slide the Color intensity bar up and down, then press okay. After that, please test it. If you do not like what you see, you can repeat these steps until the desired intensity appears for your highlight color.

#4 gusgus910

gusgus910
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:22 PM

Thank you for answering so quickly I did what you suggested, but the dialog box didn't have an advaved button. I have Vista Premium.

gusgus910

#5 Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:52 AM

Thank you for answering so quickly I did what you suggested, but the dialog box didn't have an advaved button. I have Vista Premium.

gusgus910

Make sure you've opened the "Classic Appearance Properties" dialog box.

Go to Control Panel or click on an empty space on the Desktop.
Click on Personalization.
Click on Window Colors and Appearance.
Click on Open classic appearance properties for more color options
In the dialog box that opens, click Advanced. It should be on the bottom-right of the box.
In the dialog box that opens, open the "Items" scroll box and select Selected Items.
Make any changes you wish to make to the font, font color, font weight, highlight box color, etc.
Click OK.

#6 gusgus910

gusgus910
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:38 PM

Thank You Kevin
Your step by step info worked great! I guess I can only have control over highlighting in Clasic view as you said, but is there a way to change the highlights in Aero?

gusgus910

#7 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:09 PM

Try the Color intensity method that I had if you would please.

#8 gusgus910

gusgus910
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:16 PM

Hi Jay-P VIP
I'm sorry I didn't answer you before, but I tried moving the slide back and forth four or five times but it didn't work. It made absolutely no difference at all. Any other solutions for varying the highlights in Aero?
Thank you.

gusgus910

#9 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:27 PM

This means that your theme has been modified in the past, which is fine!

Once Aero is modified, it must be reset before making any further changes. Not to be controversial, but few people realize that Aero is very tedious and touchy. Any single flaw or error in Aero, it stops functioning correctly.

This is not to say, however, that your theme is damaged, etc. It just means that it is modified, and now the changes are locked internally. Changing classic appearance properties, can happen any time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users