Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I remotley access another computer(with permission of course)?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sandman512

sandman512

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:36 PM

My mother frequently calls me to help her with her PC. How can I go about accessing her computer remotely from mine, with her permission of course. Thanks!
MODS, if this is in the wrong forum, please direct to the new one. THANKS! :thumbsup:

Edited by sandman512, 19 February 2009 - 06:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:49 PM

I use an excellent easy to set up and use program called LogMein. Logmein.com

#3 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:20 PM

TeamVieweris great program that works if you can get your mom to go to the site and install the program over the phone with you. Make sure you select that its for personal use when you install it.

If you want something more I also use an open source program called ultra vnc. It takes some port forwarding but it also works.

Oh by the way both are free.

Hope that helps,
uByte

Edited by uByte, 19 February 2009 - 07:26 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:36 PM

...and there's always Windows Remote Assistance.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...sist/intro.mspx

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_...s/wxprmass.html

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457004.aspx

Louis

#5 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:32 PM

I much prefer to do it through the means of ESP! There is much less change of contracting a computer STD (Socially Transmitted Disease).

Edited by fuzzywuzzy6, 20 February 2009 - 03:41 PM.

#6 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:10 PM

I much prefer to do it through the means of ESP! There is much less change of contracting a computer STD (Socially Transmitted Disease).

What's ESP? --- and STD is something else!!!
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

#7 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:15 PM

My mother frequently calls me to help her with her PC. How can I go about accessing her computer remotely from mine, with her permission of course. Thanks!
MODS, if this is in the wrong forum, please direct to the new one. THANKS! :thumbsup:

If your mom has Windows XP Professional, you could check out the Windows Remote Tool. If she has Windows XP Home, this option is not available. And you will need 3rd party software.

Btw. My mom has the same problem as your mom :-) That's why I am very interested in what solution you will find. Could you please keep us posted how that goes, and which program did you select? :flowers:

@uByte How safe is the software? Is there not a risk of someone logging in to your PC and cause harm?

@bicycle bill Is that software for free as well?

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:21 PM

https://secure.logmein.com/products/free/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:36 PM

https://secure.logmein.com/products/free/

@animal are such softwares considered safe? in particular when used over internet?

#10 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:48 PM

If your mom has Windows XP Professional, you could check out the Windows Remote Tool. If she has Windows XP Home, this option is not available. And you will need 3rd party software.

Btw. My mom has the same problem as your mom :-) That's why I am very interested in what solution you will find. Could you please keep us posted how that goes, and which program did you select? :flowers:

@uByte How safe is the software? Is there not a risk of someone logging in to your PC and cause harm?

The software is safe. It creates an SSL connection to the two computers and is based upon a password which can be defined or random. Also has some great VPN connection software bundled with it to just start a connection between the two computers and transfer files back and forth.

#11 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:55 PM

@uByte: SSL? VPN? What's that? :thumbsup:

#12 sandman512

sandman512
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:08 PM

Thanks everyone! Good info.

#13 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:07 PM

Webopedia,The only online dictionary and search engine you need for computer and Internet technology definitions.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#14 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:17 AM

I was being facetious and thought someone else might explain it to you.

ESP Is Extra-Sensory Perception (which I don't believe in). To do a remote viewing would require either mental telepathy (mind reading) or clairvoyance (far seeing). Many computer users no doubt wish they had precognition--an ability to foresee the future.

As for calling it a Computer Socially Transmitted Disease, I was trying to make a funny analogy, as many people feel after a "contaminated" computer contact roughly the same way as they would had they contracted a real STD, depending on the severity of the infection. And then there is the feeling of not-quite-being-violated and boundaries not being respected.

My attitude toward unsolicited remoted viewing: call shirley maclaine! I would rather go the vendors unless I was very familiar with the programming skills of the proposed remote viewer.

#15 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:24 PM

SSL is Secure Socket Layer. If you want to know more about it there is a podcast about the topic at grc.com Security Now! or to read about it this Link
VPN Virtual Private Network Is a basically a secure connection between a computer and a server or another computer. For more info try this link.

Hope that helps,
uByte

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users