Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My pictures are missing usage rights? HELP!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 goceltics34

goceltics34

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:35 PM

I have always been able to backup my pictures to dvd before but just the other day I tried to burn them to a dvd and it says that I am missing usage rights for the files. I have tried using Nero 7, windows built in burning software, and windows media player. None of these programs have allowed me to copy the pictures to a dvd.

I understand that this has been an issue with music but my own pictures? Why is this happening?

Please help as I desperately want to back up my photos to discs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpecialOlympicsTech

SpecialOlympicsTech

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:23 PM

You most likely need to take ownership of the files for whatever reason. If you have XP Pro then right click the folder they are in and go properties, then on the security tab click advanced, then the owner tab, highlight your username and remember to check off the box for Replace owner on subcontainers and objects. If you have XP Home then you have to do this procedure from safe mode(hitting F8 while booting up the machine). best of luck

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:29 PM

From what I see...media usage rights applies to DRM mechanisms established via Windows Media.

I see no other instance of anyone stating that it has applied to graphics, although I guess it could apply to graphics which are purchased at one of those websites that have incorporated mechanisms on the webpage to keep the image from being copied.

I've never run into your situation before and I really don't know what to suggest.

FWIW: Common Misconceptions About Image User Rights, http://www.designertoday.com/Articles/5560...age.Rights.aspx

Note: I would not use WMP to burn anything, since it's designed to sniff where there may be no fire.

Louis

#4 goceltics34

goceltics34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:54 AM

When I click on properties I don't see a securtity button anywhere.

These are the buttons that I see when I click on properties...

General, Sharing, Customize, Carbonite

I am running windows xp.

Any other suggestions?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:12 AM

How Do I See the Security tab in XP Home (Doug Knox) - http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_home_sectab.htm

How To See the Security Tab in XP Home - http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/windo...-Tab-in-XP-Home

Louis

#6 goceltics34

goceltics34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:33 AM

How Do I See the Security tab in XP Home (Doug Knox) - http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_home_sectab.htm

How To See the Security Tab in XP Home - http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/windo...-Tab-in-XP-Home

Louis

Will this work for xp professional?

Thanks

#7 SpecialOlympicsTech

SpecialOlympicsTech

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:32 PM

If you h ave pro already and are not seeing that tab then you need to try to share a folder first. Once sharing is enabled then the security tab will show up! =D

#8 goceltics34

goceltics34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:53 PM

If you h ave pro already and are not seeing that tab then you need to try to share a folder first. Once sharing is enabled then the security tab will show up! =D

Sorry for being such a newbie but I just can't get it to show me the security tab.
I right clicked on my folder called Pictures where I store all of my pictures and selected sharing and security. I then selected network share and security and selected share this folder on the network. After doing this I go to folder properties but still don't see any security tab.

Am I doing something wrong. Sorry.

#9 goceltics34

goceltics34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:44 PM

UPDATE

I transferred some of my pictures using a usb travel drive onto another computer and was able to successfully burn the pictures without any problems.
I then transferred some pictures from the other computer to my computer and was not able to burn the pictures to the cd.

Hence, the pictures are not the problem.

Could it be the cd/dvd burner? No, because I am able to burn music onto disks but not my pictures. I though it may be the cd/dvd burner so I went out and bought a new one. Same problem. I can burn music but not my own pictures.

Maybe it's a problem with the operating system? I think I may have to reformat, what do you think?

I hate doing it but I really don't know what else the problem could be.

Anyone?

#10 goceltics34

goceltics34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:10 AM

Bump

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users