Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't even turn ON...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 boofie75

boofie75

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 04:57 PM

Last night I was having trouble starting Adobe Illustrator - it would freeze during startup. I wound up trying a bunch of different troubleshooting techniques to no avail, so I reinstalled it. Still froze. I tried restarting my computer and it took forever, so I held the power button in to force it to shut off.

Well, it won't even turn on now. I unplugged the computer overnight, plugged it back into several different outlets, messed with the I/O switch in the back, nothing. Nothing lights up, there's no sound, no fan running, nothing at all.

A few years ago I had an issue with the power supply. Is it safe to assume this is the culprit this time?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 05:46 PM

I don't think it's safe to assume anything about no sign of life in a system...but my first guess would be something related to power. Power supply, power switch...things which pass the power on to components...that's where I would begin my guesswork.

System manufacturer and model?

Do you have (temporary) access to a power supply you could use for a few minutes?

Louis

#3 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 05:48 PM

Hi there!

What is you hardware configuration? AKA Processor type and amount of RAM. If you are not sure of this information, then please let me know.

Adobe products have certain configurations. Most of the time, it will prevent your computer from starting up until you have the proper hardware. This is unavoidable, unfortuantely.

I was servicing a computer last year, and I had set it up for Adobe Dreamweaver. Little did I know that the processor was good enough, but it needed to read Pentium 4 to continue. Just because of the processor type, the computer I serviced would not start up whatsoever.

#4 boofie75

boofie75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:28 PM

It's an Asus motherboard with an Intel processor and 2 gig of RAM. The processor is (I believe) a 2 ghz, not 100% sure. But the thing is, Illustrator ran fine for me on this computer for the last 3 years. Just last night, though, this happened. It would freeze while initializing Illustrator.exe and/or plugins.

My dad has an extra power supply - he's going to test it on my computer tonight.

Edited by boofie75, 19 February 2009 - 07:28 PM.

#5 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:12 PM

That is weird, my friend. I see a possible Intel Pentium 4 or better. I do not see why it had caused such a problem.

If the replacement of any parts does not work, then I recommend that you call or live chat with Adobe about this situation, seeing that it was their product that caused your computer to crash. Since your hardware requirements are met, there should be no reason that it is your error. I even checked the support page for installation--and from what you had told me, friend, is what I checked in the page. You are currently not the one at error, according to the support page. :thumbsup:

#6 boofie75

boofie75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:49 PM

That is weird, my friend. I see a possible Intel Pentium 4 or better. I do not see why it had caused such a problem.

If the replacement of any parts does not work, then I recommend that you call or live chat with Adobe about this situation, seeing that it was their product that caused your computer to crash. Since your hardware requirements are met, there should be no reason that it is your error. I even checked the support page for installation--and from what you had told me, friend, is what I checked in the page. You are currently not the one at error, according to the support page. :thumbsup:

Thanks. I found out that the power supply was faulty. I got a new one and it works great. Illustrator still doesn't work, though.

#7 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:57 PM

Oh I see, not so cool. You may have to repair/reinstall Adobe Illustrator. Just a tip, my friend! :thumbsup:

#8 boofie75

boofie75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:10 AM

I reinstalled it 3 times now...same problem. Maybe I should contact Adobe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users