Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have a vista laptop and could do with some help ...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shaun67

shaun67

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 04:52 PM

Hi everyone i am new here....

I have bought a compaq presario F765em laptop that has vista home premium and also have a compaq presario desktop that i purchased a few year ago...

My problem is that i bought the laptop so i could use a vauxhall op-com diagnostic kit which comes with software..i have not purchased the kit yet but would like one..But everyone who i have asked on ebay who sell this say it only works on xp :huh: But some one said it should work with vista,the only draw back is if i buy the kit and it won't work with vista then i cannot get a refund...

I was wondering about changing the laptop to xp but don't really know what to do ,could i wipe the laptop and then install my recovery cds that i made a few year ago for the desktop xp os and put this on the laptop ..The xp comp came from pc world...

Would this work or is there a way round it as i got the laptop to diagnose my car ..just wish i had bought an xp laptop now..don't get me wrong the vista os is nice but i want my laptop for using with my car..

Any help would be appreciated but please keep it simple as i know a little about pcs but not sure with this. Thanks :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 05:41 PM

Putting the XP from your desktop on your laptop is against the terms of the EULA. We do not help with this here (IAW the forum rules).

If you'd like XP on your laptop, I'd suggest purchasing a copy of XP and we'll help with installing it and getting the drivers updated.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 shaun67

shaun67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:58 PM

Oops sorry did not know that i thought with them already purchased by me would not have mattered ,don't seem fair that i'd have to pay twice for xp when i 'm down grading from vista... :huh:

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:08 PM

This isn't directly a Microsoft policy - but is, in part, due to the EULA that your manufacturer issues (and some of it depends on their agreement with Microsoft).

In general the EULA states that an OEM copy of Windows is "attached" to that system and cannot be transferred.

If you install the XP on your laptop, there's a chance that you won't be able to update it. Even worse, there's a chance that it'll be marked as unauthorized, and neither computer will be able to update. This will leave you open to all sorts of vulnerabilities that can hose your system quickly.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users