Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot browse internet despite being connected through ethernet

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mariocubed

mariocubed

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:22 PM

Hey everyone, I have a problem regarding an older laptop running Windows XP Home. When plugging in the laptop via ethernet, Windows confirms that it is connected to the internet, yet when I try to open internet explorer, i get a page saying "Cannot find Server." The connection works on the other laptop running Windows XP we have. Any suggestions would be fantastic.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:37 PM

Hi there! :flowers:

Have you noticed that your computer has been sluggish? Has it ran weird or indifferent?

The option that I suggest above all else is to re-install your ethernet card driver.

What is your ethernet card?

Do you still have the CD/Floppy or other media used to install the Ethernet card? (If you bought a computer from a manufacturer such as Gateway, Dell, HP, etc -- then the card driver may be on the setup disks. Usually it reads "Drivers and Diagnostics' or similar text)

As soon as you give me more information, I can help you reinstall the ethernet card driver.

Most likely it seems like the configuration of the driver has possibly changed. We need to reset these changes! :thumbsup:

Edited by Jay-P VIP, 19 February 2009 - 02:47 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:54 PM

If it's truly connected...you ought to be able to look at the connection data by...going to Control Panel and then to Network Connections. Place the mouse on the connection reflected and then look to the left and post whatever data is reflected at the bottom under the Details category.

Worth reading, IMO: http://antivirus.about.com/od/windowsbasic...erneterrors.htm

Louis

#4 mariocubed

mariocubed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:02 PM

If i recall correctly (I'm away from the computer right now), packets were being sent and received. I'll update as I gather more information on the problem. Thank you all for your help.

#5 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:16 PM

Very good article hamluis! I recommend the article as well from about.com that hamluis just displayed. :thumbsup:

#6 mariocubed

mariocubed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:34 PM

Alright guys, I've got a bit more info to add. I took the laptop to my friend's place and tested the connection via ethernet and it works perfectly. What would cause the problem to be isolated to one location? As I mentioned earlier, other computers have no problem connecting at the same location

Also, the ethernet card is a National Semiconductor Cor. DP838

Edited by mariocubed, 22 February 2009 - 11:42 PM.

#7 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:45 PM

Check the internet filters inside your home!
Reinstall filters

Because your DSL signal is active on every phone jack provisioned for DSL, you
will need to install a DSL filter wherever you have something plugged into a jack.
This includes any phone, answering machine, or fax machine. DSL filters will
reduce the interference between these devices and your DSL signal.
In Step 1, you installed a Y-adapter. If you want to use a phone in this location,
insert a DSL filter into the open side of the Y-adapter, and then insert the phone
cord into the DSL filter (see Fig. A).
For all other phone jacks:
1. Unplug the phone cord from the phone jack.
2. Insert a DSL filter* into the phone jack.
3. Insert the phone cord into the DSL filter.
4. Check for a dial tone.
5. Repeat steps for each phone (or other device) in your office.

Check troubleshooting on this page -- Wiring from DSLAM to your home is most likely the deal.

Edited by Jay-P VIP, 22 February 2009 - 11:47 PM.

#8 mariocubed

mariocubed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:51 PM

My internet is connected through a cable modem. Would I still have that problem under that circumstance?

#9 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:43 AM

I would kindly recommend that you call your cable company!

#10 mariocubed

mariocubed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:50 AM

So it's a problem on the cable company's end? If that's the case, why would other computers using ethernet get service and this particular one does not? Your help has been very appreciated I'm just trying to fully understand the situation

#11 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:20 AM

• It might be inside the cable card for your box
  • It could be damaged fiber optics in operator circuit located on power poles along streets/roads
  • It could be damaged, frayed, or obstructed/crushed cables between the company building and your home
These are just many possibilities that only the cable company can check out. :thumbsup:

#12 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:44 PM

Were you able to get this problem solved?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users