Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TDSSserv.sys disabled, and back with a vengeance!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EMM28

EMM28

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:40 PM

Well, I'm new here, so I just wanted to say hello to everyone before returning to freak out mode...so "Hi!"

I am running on Windows XP. A few months ago my computer was infected with the TDSSserv.sys trojan, and since then I have disabled it through the device manager. I installed malwarebytes onto my computer, and proceeded to update my antivirus software. I am using Norton 360 (I know, I know, symantec sucks...but due to the fact that I was unable to access any type of freeware via the internet, and I am still new to the ins and outs of virus protection, I was left with very few options). Things seemed to have been running smoothly, but now this thing is back with a vengeance, or I have a whole new can of worms to reckon with.

Symptoms include:
-Inability to access any help sites or forums...such as malwarebytes, yahoo answers, and yes, even bleeping computer (I am currently sitting at my public library trying to find answers).
-Norton 360 will start a comprehensive scan, but will just continue to scan liveupdate without progressing to any further stages.
-Malwarebytes won't open.
-I renamed malwarebytes (after making a copy) in program files, trying to fool this little nasty into letting me run mbam, and still nothing.
-TDSSserv.sys is still disabled in the device manager.

I can't really seem to find anything in my task manager that jumps out as a threat. I've tried working through this problem normally, in safemode, and in safemode with networking. Last night I was able to download and run norman malware cleaner, which prompted me that a few threats were fixed (I, of course, left this log at home, and do not have it to share...it seems this beast is working its way into my brain along with my PC).

I was thinking of trying to do a system restore, maybe allowing me to run malwarebytes normally, but I didn't want to make a wrong move, and I didn't want to accidentally delete potentially important previous restore points.

Those are as many details as I can think of right now, I'm sure as soon as I post I'll remember a few more.

Thanks to anyone who may have an answer or suggestion...PLEASE HELP!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 EMM28

EMM28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:49 PM

I knew it would happen...

Malwarebytes is also having runtime errors...

SGrid II Control Runtime Error "0"

-and-

Automation "440"

-and-

Automation "440"

-and-

Automation "440"

#3 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:55 PM

TDSSserv.sys is a VERY nasty trojan...

IMPORTANT NOTE: One or more of the identified infections was related to a rootkit component. Rootkits and backdoor Trojan are very dangerous because they use advanced techniques (backdoors) as a means of accessing a computer system that bypasses security mechanisms and steal sensitive information which they send back to the hacker. Many rootkits can hook into the Windows 32-bit kernel, and patch several APIs to hide new registry keys and files they install. Remote attackers use backdoor Trojans and rootkits as part of an exploit to gain unauthorized access to a computer and take control of it without your knowledge.

If your computer was used for online banking, has credit card information or other sensitive data on it, all passwords should be changed immediately to include those used for banking, email, eBay, paypal and online forums. You should consider them to be compromised. They should be changed by using a different computer and not the infected one. If not, an attacker may get the new passwords and transaction information. Banking and credit card institutions should be notified of the possible security breach. Because your computer was compromised please read How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?

Although the rootkit was identified and removed, your PC has likely been compromised and there is no way to be sure the computer can ever be trusted again. It is dangerous and incorrect to assume that because the rootkit has been removed the computer is now secure. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. The malware may leave so many remnants behind that security tools cannot find them. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of malware, the best course of action is to wipe the drive clean, reformat and reinstall the OS. Please read:

"When should I re-format? How should I reinstall?"
"Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?"
"Where to draw the line? When to recommend a format and reinstall?"

Should you decide not to follow that advice, we will do our best to help clean the computer of any infections but we cannot guarantee it to be trustworthy or that the removal will be successful.

It sounds like you want to attempt a cleaning.

Please follow this guide from step (6). Post a HJT log to the HJT forum and a Team member will be along to help you as soon as possible. You may wish to post a link back to this topic to see what was discussed thus far.

If you need any help with the guide, please let me know. Best wishes - you are in good hands...

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users