Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking to upgrade

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fivelitre

fivelitre

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:59 PM

My girlfriend is looking to buy a new computer. She mainly uses it for internet and photoshop, not really into high graphic intense games. She also burns quite a few cd's / dvd's but doesn't need / want a blu-ray player/burner. I'm able to help her a little bit, but the part where I get confused is when they start talking about Duo core and Quad core. Some links I've seen have said "Quad core processor which gives you 9.8GHz". But I was under the assumption that all duo/quad core was is basically either 2 or 4 "highways" on that one processor? so a 2.8GHz would only be 2.8 but... now I'm confusing myself again.

She's picked out these two. Can someone maybe take a look and tell me which they believe to be a better deal? She wants a fairly good computer so she can upgrade it in the future if she wants to.

Computer 1
Computer 2

Edited by fivelitre, 19 February 2009 - 01:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:24 PM

Of the 2 computers , if $ isn't a BIG factor I'd go with the quad core .
Although it is a little over kill for what you said the computer is going to be used for it has the newer technology & [IMO] the better components.

Dual & quad core processors do not run in tandem to make a faster CPU.
A dual core 2.5GHz CPU does not run at 5GHz.
What it does do is split the load between the 2 CPU's so 1 CPU isn't doing all of the work.

In order for a program to really take advantage of multicore CPU's it has to be written [encoded] to run on multiple CPU's simotaniously .
If it isn't written specifically to do that it is still only going to run on 1 CPU at it's given speed no matter how many "cores" it has.

The advantage is that if you have 2 "cores" the load isn't all on 1.
One core can be running Windows & another a program .
By doing that the computer is faster simply because each CPU [or core] doesn't have to do as much.

The biggest caveat with multi core CPU's is the CPU technology is far ahead of the software technology.
As it is there aren't a lot of programs currently encoded to take full advantage of the multi core technology but that will change .

Edited by fairjoeblue, 19 February 2009 - 01:28 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:29 PM

Just opinion...but I would never consider purchasing a PC on eBay.

I see no mention of warranty, no mention of operating system CD...what happens when things go wrong (as they surely will)? Not to mention the fact that the system speed is misleading in the ads.

I don't own any boxmaker (Dell, HP, eMachines, etc.) systems...but I would surely go that route before I ever expended my money for a system which fails to even mention support responsibility, warranty, or provide the capability for reinstalling the O/S.

The following is put forth for comparative purposes only:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/con...cwa1p&s=bsd

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/con...2OW14&s=bsd

http://www.dell.com/content/products/featu...;l=en&s=dhs

Louis

Edited to add note that (IMO) it hardly seems worthwhile for anyone to bother installing/familiarizing with Vista, at this point...with Windows 7 looming in the near future, http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=649

Edited by hamluis, 19 February 2009 - 02:35 PM.

#4 fivelitre

fivelitre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:08 PM

Great, thanks for clearing that up for me.

On the Dell website, it says "Intel Core 2 Quad" and then it says "Intel Core 2 Quad-Core" What is the difference between these two?

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:34 PM

""Intel Core 2 Quad" and then it says "Intel Core 2 Quad-Core" What is the difference between these two? "

As far as I know it's just 2 different ways of describing the same thing.

A Core 2 Quad is a quad core CPU.

A Core 2 Quad-Core is a quad core CPU .

The big difference is " Core 2 Quad-Core" is more specific about the CPU having 4 cores.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:41 PM

No difference, sloppy wording :thumbsup:.

Intel phrases it thusly, http://www.intel.com/products/processor/core2quad/index.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users