Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Erratic computer behavior when cold

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Edward1978

Edward1978

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:51 AM

I have Windows XP, SP2 on a Compaq computer with a Logitech cordless keyboard/mouse. Whenever the room temperature drops below 55 degrees, it's near impossible to get the computer to start. It goes straight to the setup bios. Tpically the computer will start after 3 or 4 tries of exiting the bios and attempting to reboot. The computer will operate fine until the room temperature is around 60 degrees.... then internet explorer will "jump" from full screen to normal size very rapidly and repeatedly. Pressing CTRL and ALT at the same time seem to be the only way to make it stop temporarily. This only happens with internet explorer, no other programs and only at about 60 degrees in the room... at 62 everything is fine and between 55 and 59 degrees everything is fine. The computer has done this since the day it was new. Is this the cordless keyboard or do I have another issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HamSandwich

HamSandwich

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:30 PM

I highly doubt this involves the computer hardware itself and the temperature of the room. Ideally, temperatures should be as low as possible (not feezing, of course) in order to keep the system cool. One of my friends has his room turned down to the point of him wearing a jacket in-doors. His computer idles at 2 degrees Celcius. thus, I do not think that is the problem.
Now, it could be a problem involving the keyboard and mouse and possibly drivers. Honestly, I am unsure what it could be, but temperature does not seem like a causal factor in this. However, I am not experiencing it first-hand as you are.
Hope maybe some of this might help. :thumbsup:

#3 Edward1978

Edward1978
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 04:06 PM

This issue is without a doubt room temperature sensitive. The ONLY time I have a problem is when the room temperature is below 60 degrees... I even have a digital thermometer on the desk to watch things. I dread cold mornings that I have to do computer work. What's odd is that I have recently upgraded the RAM (this problem existed long before the upgrade) to deal with a running CPU issue... seems that even when the room is cool and internet explorer is jumping all over the place, sites like ebay still bog down the computer and get the CPU cranking.... they do this whether the room is hot or cold. Not to mention I can't see sites like ebay completely bogging down a 3 ghz processor with nothing else running. I would think if the CPU fan needs to run at high speed that the computer would be "hot" enough to prevent whatever issue is going on. I began to assume it was the wireless keyboard, but seems way too "lucky" that the F3 key is only affected at initial startup to initiate the BIOS setup and after Windows has loaded, only 1 other key is affected to cause internet explorer to start jumping. I would think a keyboard issue causing that behavior would also lead to random keystrokes and other surprises. I've even tried putting the keyboard in front of a heater!

#4 HamSandwich

HamSandwich

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:42 PM

That is bizarre! I really don't know how else to help you. since you believe you have narrowed it down to the temperature, I cannot help too much, since that isn't really my specialty.
Wish I could do something else for you. :thumbsup:
There must be something in your physical system that could either be reacting differently to the cold or could be "told" by the computer to react a certian way. Maybe some temperature sensor is going haywire when coldness comes in. I highly doubt the computer actually has a temper against the cold; rather, a malfunctioning sensor could be the cause. I can see this telling some of your components to refer to failsafe's to prevent damage to the computer in the case of "extreme" temperatures. But this is a problem I have no clue how to alleviate or even to affirm! That would require tedious testing, special tools, and crawling around inside the case to find which sensor is actually the cause.
Either way, a very strange occurrence, indeed!

Edited by HamSandwich, 24 February 2009 - 03:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users