Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

power supply ? or mother

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 seahawk12

seahawk12

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:31 AM

Anyone familiar with echo star? Is it a good brand. It was replaced a little over two years ago along with the motherboard under warranty (Best Buy)-thank God. Never had any problems before that or until now. I posted a question on the XP site, with no response-maybe the wrong forum. Any way my '04 Gateway 504GR was working fine when I hooked it up after our move. Note I placed it along with the monitor on the floor board of the car we towed behind our U-haul. When I hooked it up everything seemed fine. Downloaded a typing program in a drive that could not find a certain file to work, then tried a different drive and it downloaded fine. As I continued to now use the program, about 45 minutes in - the computer shut itself off and went into a power saving mode. After unplugging and checking to see if everything was connected correctly it finally booted up. Thought it was a one time incident, everything seemed fine and later in the evening I defragged (I believe that's what it's called) with the assistance of a friend. Walked away so it could finish and came back to a computer on power saving mode and now wont boot up. There is a yellow light on the monitor as well as underneath the power button when I press it, but the only thing that happens is the fan turns on for a second and that's it. If I try to keep pressing it sounds like it wants to start, but Oh wait tried again and now the fan is on so scratch that (maybe it's going bad). The light is still green on the motherboard (scratch that the green light is where the power supply is connected. I see another light on the motherboard in the top right hand corner that is not lit. )and there is now a blue light on the start button. The monitor is still yellow and still wont boot up - monitor says still on power saving mode. Any suggestions?

Monique

Edited by seahawk12, 19 February 2009 - 12:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 seahawk12

seahawk12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:10 AM

Am I still in the wrong forum?

Monique

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:13 AM

Echo Star what?

The only connection I draw is in relation to satellite services.

In any case...many computer components are made by well-known companies to specs of a particular reseller, so I don't think I can really tell much by a name.

Re your situation, I would try a (temporary) different power supply first (because it's easiest). If you don't have one, you can try to borrow one from a friend (removing/inserting a power supply in a system normally involves removing a few screws and connecting cables properly).

System manufacturer and model?

Do you have an owner's manual? These normally provide guidance for troubleshooting routine issues that come up.

Abrupt/unpredictable system shutdowns are often due to overheating of the system, due to dust, etc. buildup and improper circulation of air.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

Louis

#4 seahawk12

seahawk12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:25 AM

Well that's the name on the power supply box. Guess it's not so popular. Thanks for the advice it is much appreciated. I will try it and see what happpens.

Monique

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:01 PM

Echo Star made pretty decent power supplies.
HP/Compaq/Gateway used to use a lot of them until they discovered the cheap,junk, Bestec PSU's.

I'm not sure echo star still makes power supplies as I've not seen any advertised for awhile.

Even though it is a good brand they are like any other component, subject to deterioration & failure.

The suggestion of trying a different PSU first was a very good idea.

You might also check to make sure the CPU heatsink is still attached properly [not loose] & that the heatsink/fan aren't full of dirt .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:12 PM

You can find a great deal of info...by using Google.

http://www.bizrate.com/powersupplies/produ...r__sort--5.html

http://www.pricewatch.com/brands/power_sup...echo_star-1.htm

Louis

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:23 AM

I have used echo star PSUs in the past, I had a 600 watt one in my primary computer originally. It is good for low end computing-CPU, motherboard, couple sticks of ram, HD and low end video-like say, integrated. Their not what I would call particularly hardy though. and far from a performance PSU. when I added my ati 3870 x2 it completly fried it in a matter of days (it was a 600 watt PSU and the minimum wattage for the card was supposed to be 500w low and behold, it didnt have the amperage to be able to handle the card) so, I would not buy this brand of power supply if you want to do anything performance wise with it, and in your case, my guess is the PSU took a hit during the move and something broke. I would recomend replacing it with a good antec, coolermaster or corsair power supply.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users