Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chris_com28

Chris_com28

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:44 AM

I have a neighbour who's laptop has packed up. He said how he's got a blank blue screen when he tries to boot up. I asked if there was any relevant information on the screen and he says it's completely blank. Not sure if anything much can be done there. I've had a look at BSD errors and it seems it could be any of a how load of problems. I really would like to get this sorted for him as I know the pain of losing a computer.

I'm hoping of being able to check the bios to see if there's any hardware problem, if that's possible. I also read about starting the PC in safe mode. This may work if there's software compatability problems. I also plan to place his hard drive in my laptop to see if the hard drive is working ok and possibly to make a backup if needed. I mentioned using a boot disc as that may help with corrupted Windows files. For some reason I keep thinking of a boot sector virus. Could this be the problem.

When he gets back I'll talk with him about what's been done to fix it and if he can recall a chain of events that lead to the BSD.

Thanks

Edited by Chris_com28, 19 February 2009 - 08:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:59 AM

A completely blank blue screen isn't likely to be a BSOD (example here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491 )
More than likely it's either a Windows Update or a corrupted driver that's causing it.

Once in Safe Mode, try looking at the Event Viewer...Windows Logs...System log file and Application log file for errors relating to the time that it appears.

If you can't get into Safe Mode, use the Vista installation DVD to run Startup Repair: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/

Let us know how it works out! Good luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Chris_com28

Chris_com28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:47 AM

Thanks.

#4 Chris_com28

Chris_com28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:35 PM

I had a good look through the Event Viewer tutorials. It's a while since I done things like that, so I took a while to get used to it. So if I can boot up in safe mode then I can go into Event Viewer and make a note of the errors that may have caused the sytem failure. From then I could look them up or post them on a forum for diagnosis and a possible solution.

Failing that I would have to use a Vista installation disc. The same as a boot disc isn't it? I'm having no luck getting one. Is there a place I can go to download the data for the disc? Can it be done like that?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:08 AM

IME, these are the steps in troubleshooting:

First you evaluate the symptoms that are displayed in terms of what sorts of errors could be causing them
Next, you look for evidence of the error. Places to look include, but are not limited to - virus scans; Event Viewer, Reliability Monitor, Performance Report, etc

So, the Event Viewer is a good place to start. But, if you're getting into Safe Mode - then it's obvious that the issue is caused by something that loads in normal mode, but not in Safe Mode. The most common cause for this is drivers (as that's what Safe Mode was designed to troubleshoot). So, in Event Viewer you'll have to look at the Windows Logs...System logfile for significant events. Also look in the Windows Logs...Application logfile for other events that may be related to this.

As for the boot disk, any copy of a Vista installation disk will work as long as it's the right version (32 vs 64 bits). Beyond that, here's a link that's got some downloadable one's (via torrent): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/usas...?showentry=1261

The download contain the appropriate files from the installation disk, but only have enough files to run Startup Repair (and not the installation)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users