Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

downloads don't complete, pages stop loading...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 biren

biren

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:31 AM

hi.
i am trying to hide my desperation...

since last 2 days - suddenly out of the blue - my net connection is giving me problems (which were not there earlier).
pages stop loading midway and have to be refreshed.
speeds seems to have gone down - of page loading, and of downloading.
direct file downloads stop midway. i downloaded the 'free download manager 3.0'... but that also doesnot solve the stalled downloads.

i don't even know what info to give you to help diagnose the problem.
please ask me, and i will furnish it.

thank you for being available - to pull green-thumbs like me out of troubles.
warm regards
biren

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:39 PM

Please provide more details:
What operating system? Fully patched?
What browser are you using? version?
Are you behind a router? Make and model
Any problems with your ISP - have you checked? Dialup? broadband?
Have you scanned the computer recently - any malware?
Did you recently make changes to the computer when this started? added a new program? browser addon?
anything else that defines the problem?
What security software are you using?

#3 Guest_tylerisdabest_*

Guest_tylerisdabest_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:54 PM

you could be clotted with a virus or something. try a scan with your antivirus

#4 biren

biren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:03 AM

hi tork,
thnks for responding to help.
here is the info u asked for (i am a novice)

i hv winXP SP2 fully patched (except, of course SP3)

i use - mostly - IE 7.0.5730.11
rarely FF 1.8.20060.50817

i am connected to my ISP thru a cable terminating in my comp, connecting to realtek Rtl-8139d PCI fast ethernet adapter, which comes from a 'switch' they hv installed outside my house. (this is what they tell me). and the connection is 'cable' connection.

i scanned the computer with my AV (resident, and runs all the time), malwarebyte's AM, spyware blaster, spybot.
i also tried to restore system top previous point the next day that i had faced the problem for first time. i couldnot restore it beyond two days prior. all other points were un-restorable.

my AV is QuickHeal (CAT tech).

does this help?
i hope it does...
its annoying to use a comp that seems to be have a defiant mind of its own, as if it is bewitched or haunted.

rgds

#5 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:01 AM

biren,

Your first post is dated Feb 19 where you indicated two days ago - Feb 17th - problem started where pages stopped loading correctly; my question is Did you install the download manager before or after the problem started? What occurred on the date the problem started? Any new program added? Updates to existing software programs? Installed browser addons? installed a new toolbar? Are you current on patching internet explorer 7, if you are not sure go to Windows updates site and check.

Any changes to your firewall or AV which may be blocking or conflicting with internet explorer?

Also, since this is a cable connection, any other computers in the house - do they work properly on this same cable connection? Have you contacted your ISP? What do they say - any problem providing service to you on their end? On your end, have you tried disabling all addons in internet explorer 7 - does it load correctly with all addons disabled? If it works with addons disabled then add them back one at a time until you find the addon that is causing the problem.

Lastly, you indicated firefox used rarely - try it now, does it fully load pages? Or does that exhibit the very same issue as internet explorer.

tork

#6 killersid_87

killersid_87

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:14 PM

could be conficker worm. try cleaning for spy/malware. better get a firewall, and set svchost, system and explorer to - allow outgoing only...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users