Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

so many viruses, I dont know where to start

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LakersCentral

LakersCentral

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:41 AM

Well, this is my first post, and never thought I'd be doing this... but I've ran into a computer problem that I cant fix on my own (I'm highly proficient with PCs, and myself have worked in IT, and am now a programmer).

This is really frustrating to not be able to solve this one on my own. I will probably end up having to reformat & reinstall, but I thought I'd try this first. I really dont want to have to reformat, as I just got windows the way I like it (again), and I have a 1.5TB hard drive that is full (with no way to backup 500gb of that).

Anyways, I dont even know where to begin, as there are so many infections. I've done all the usual (multiple times in and out of safe mode): run hijackthis, combofix, manually cleaned out the registry, swept my hard drive for suspicious files, (attempted) online virus scans, etc etc etc.

Its been about 3 weeks now since I was last able to use my desktop. PLEASE let me know what is needed to get started. The files that APPEAR to be giving the most problems are reader_s.exe and services.exe ... but thats only the half of it. I was somehow able to get to the final step of trendmicro housecall online virus scan (before something shut it down), and it had informed me of over 20 distinct malwares/viruses in over 2000 files! Like I said, its a mess. I dont know how many I have taken care of myself, but some just keep coming back anyways. HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:58 AM

There are some very nasty infections running thru lately and one new variant that so damages system files it cannot be repaired.

I would suggest moving the hard drive to another computer and salvaging data there.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 LakersCentral

LakersCentral
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:12 PM

Thanks for the warning. Unfortunately, i order to do that, I would need to buy another 1.5TB hard drive (as well as 2 external sata usb enclosures). It may come to that, but I'd like to try to battle this thing first. Do you have any more information on that particular variant / a way I could search to see if it has infected my system?

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:35 PM

Here's an advanced tool for a situation like yours

http://www.free-av.de/en/tools/12/avira_an...cue_system.html

Edited by DaChew, 19 February 2009 - 09:36 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users