Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I need to change my major?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jftoday

jftoday

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:48 PM

Hi everyone,
I have a question; I went back to college recently to work towards a bachelors degree in computer science. I love everything about them and have since I was little. I have always wanted to have a job working with them. One thing or another has always kept me from my goal. Now I have decided that nothing is going to keep me from it but I am not completely sure my major is right. When I applied to the college, I talked to an advisor about what I wanted to do, trusting her to steer me in the right direction. Well my paperwork says Iím working towards a degree in computer networking and Iím not sure this is what I want to be doing, or is it. I want to be the guy you call when there is something wrong with your machine and in most cases be able to diagnose and direct you to fix the problem over the phone.
Now I mean no offense when I say this, so please donít anybody in the world take offense to what Iím about to say. I donít want to be the guy sitting in a call center in India reading my cues from a card, Iíve had to call them before and frequently Iíve already done the first 15 or twenty things on their check list before I even dial the phone they usually waste my time until they connect me with the guy who knows what heís doing the guy that wrote the cue cards for those in the call centers. I want to be the guy that those guys in India call after they have tried everything they know. I want to be the guy who can get into the inner workings of the computer and figure out why something is not working, as it should, without having to use the cue card. So can anyone tell me what I need to major in to become that guy?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:07 AM

Many of those people have Masters Degrees in Electrical engineering and cannot get jobs because of their religious affiliations. My ISP is based there (moved from Atlanta, Georgia) and the folks there are tied up by protocol answers. They are live during chat or phone call, but they have canned responses they have to give for everything. I found that several of them were flattering me profusely. The first time I was surprised, the second time, I said "Not really!" and the third time I said, "Please stop it. I am NOT one of your best customers." This also happened when I called their business support, they kept asking me for services I could not afford and did not need or want, and I finally said, "Flag your computer to stop asking me about this stuff!"

Many of those folks are gifted, and they are trapped in crappy jobs. Of course, you don't want a crappy job. No one does.

Good luck in all your endeavors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users